[GPGT] Memory Lane

Cynical Ape

A pair of Merlions once stand proudly at the carpark entrance for Ang Mo Kio Blk 216-222. Built in 1998 for $30,000 by the Ang Mo Kio Residential Commitee, the iconic pair has been around for 12 years. But a few years back, the merlions were forced to be removed from their locations as they are not authorised by the Singapore Tourism Board, who owns the copyright and all intellectual properties of Merlion. 

There are 5 “approved” Merlions in Singapore, which are the original Merlion (with a smaller one behind it) at the Singapore River,  the gigantic Merlion in Sentosa, the Merlion of Mount Faber and the one at the Tourism Court.

The original Merlion, first located at the mouth of Singapore River and then shifted to Merlion Park, was officially unveiled in 1972 by former Prime Minister Lee Kuan Yew.  At 8.6m tall, it was made by famous sculptor Lim Nang Seng. From then, it was officially determined as the symbol of Singapore; the top part represents Singapore as Lion City, while the bottom part refers Singapore as a port city.

Edited by Cynical Ape

Good content = Topics that genuinely encourages and stimulates interaction/banter. 

Bad content = Clickbaits, brag posts and social media news feed that nobody gives a flying fuck about + waste of server storage space

The Capitol Theatre was built in 1929 by British architectural firm Keys and Dowdeswell, who also designed the Fullerton Building and Singapore General Hospital. During WWII, it was occupied by the Japanese, who renamed it as Kyo-Ei Gekijo and replaced English films with Japanese ones.

Capitol Building was built in 1933, four years after Capitol Theatre was completed, expanding on the foundation of the theatre. The building, with its huge billboard and curved corner facade, was the iconic structure at the junction of Stamford Road and North Bridge Road. Capitol was known as Shaw Building before 1989, as Shaw Organisation bought over the building in 1946. Their showbiz lasted a long 40 years, and finally ended in 1987 when Urban Redevelopment Authority (URA) took over the building in 1987. The last movie screened, though, was in 1998.

Both Capitol Theatre and Capitol Building were given conservation status in July 2007.

Singapore Tourism Board (STB) has tried to convert the colonial buildings into an arts and design center in 2000 but without success. It was not until 2010 that a $250 million bid was accepted to redevelop the area in a 99 year lease. 

For decades, the theatre was the premier picture house in Singapore, screening countless blockbusters and variety shows.

Good content = Topics that genuinely encourages and stimulates interaction/banter. 

Bad content = Clickbaits, brag posts and social media news feed that nobody gives a flying fuck about + waste of server storage space

5 minutes ago, Leizai said:

i missed the old A&W shops and the old sandy playgrounds

Which A & W shop did you normally hang out? 

And yay, old playgrounds normally sandy. When I young that time, after playing in the sand my late grandma always ordered me to go take a bath or else no dinner for me...  

Edited by Cynical Ape

9 minutes ago, Cynical Ape said:

And yay, old playgrounds normally sandy. When I young that time, after playing in the sand my late grandma always ordered me to go take a bath or else no dinner for me...  

i hang ard amk de a&w......last time always bury dead bird and animals in the sand... wahhahah~!

I think about you. But I don't say it anymore -Marguerite Duras, 

1 minute ago, beyond said:

i hang ard amk de a&w......last time always bury dead bird and animals in the sand... wahhahah~!

Muahahahaha.. so bad har. :1f9233:

24 minutes ago, Cynical Ape said:

usually hang out in clementi area last time. after sandy playground nid go wash feet

Edited by Leizai

9k2wZiB.png

@invis 帶我稱霸帶我飛

20 hours ago, beyond said:

not bad hor.... see them die hav to bury... but tat time not able to dif soil mah... lol

How old were you back then? Apparently you grasped the concept of death at a relatively young age...

6 minutes ago, Cynical Ape said:

How old were you back then? Apparently you grasped the concept of death at a relatively young age...

playgrd leh... u sec sch then start plahing there meh.... lol..... 

Just now, beyond said:

playgrd leh... u sec sch then start plahing there meh.... lol..... 

Thats not what I'm implying. Its just inconceivable to me how you knew that dead bodies had to buried back then? Did you lose a loved one?

8 minutes ago, Cynical Ape said:

Thats not what I'm implying. Its just inconceivable to me how you knew that dead bodies had to buried back then? Did you lose a loved one?

i from 3 i seen dead bodies liao.... wahahhaha!!!! ima bery acustom to it.... 

• Like 1

Just now, beyond said:

i from 3 i seen dead bodies liao.... wahahhaha!!!! ima bery acustom to it.... 

This is the answer I've been waiting for... :1f6055:

6 minutes ago, beyond said:

u bo liao ar... lol.... 

Hannor, jin bo liao. Isn't that the reason why we're here? 

Edited by Cynical Ape