Can Intermittent Fasting Reset Your Immune System?

Bigbird

Can Intermittent Fasting Reset Your Immune System?

https://www.forbes.com/sites/stevensalzberg/2020/01/06/can-intermittent-fasting-reset-your-immune-system/?sh=bd2829027ac2

I've written about fasting and its effects on health before. Six years ago, a study showed that a 3-day fast can essentially reset the immune system, providing many potential benefits. These benefits include better cardiovascular health, better endurance, lower blood pressure, and reduced inflammation.

Newer data, which I'll get to in a minute, shows that you might not have to fast nearly that long to get these benefits.

In the 2014 study, Valter Longo and colleagues at USC found that fasting lowered white blood cell counts, which in turn triggered the immune system to start producing new white blood cells. White blood cells (or lymphocytes) are a key component of your body’s immune system. Once you start eating again, according to Longo, your stem cells kick back into high gear to replenish the cells that were recycled. 

The idea behind this strategy is that you have to fast for several days to get the benefits: basically, you have to fully deplete your energy reserves (in the form of glycogen), and it takes your body at least 24 hours, and probably 48 hours or more, to do this. That's the not-so-good news. The good news is that you probably only need to fast once or twice a year to gain the benefits that Longo described.

Last week, in a paper just published in the New England Journal of Medicine, Rafael de Cabo and Mark Mattson reviewed multiple strategies for fasting that have been tested in the years since Longo's study. The news continues to be very encouraging: intermittent fasting is good for you. I don't have time or space here to discuss all the results, but I want to focus on one fasting strategy that has surprisingly good benefits.

It turns out that you can get many of the benefits of fasting without doing a 3-day fast, which for most people is really, really difficult to accomplish. Instead, you can try a much easier type of fasting, called "time-restricted" fasting. With this strategy, you fast every day, by eating all of your food in a 6-hour or 8-hour window. Or you can go with the more difficult strategy (but still easier than a 3-day fast) where you fast for 2 entire days per week. Here, then, are two intermittent fasting strategies that have similar health benefits:

• Time-restricted: eat lunch starting at 12 noon, and finish dinner by 8:00pm. Fast until the next day at noon (16 hour fast). Do this every day.
  • 5:2 fasting: fast for 2 different days each week, which means eating just 500-700 calories worth of food and drink on those days. Eat normally on the other 5 days.

The first strategy–a daily 16-hour fast–is the easiest, but its benefits might be equal to those of 5:2 fasting and the 3-day fast. (No study has directly compared these 3 fasting regimens.)

The benefits of intermittent fasting are numerous. As de Cabo and Mattson explain, they include

"[improvements in] blood pressure; resting heart rate; levels of HDL and LDL cholesterol, triglycerides, glucose, and insulin resistance.... In addition, intermittent fasting reduces markers of systemic inflammation and oxidative stress that are associated with atherosclerosis."

Fasting also helps with weight loss, for obvious reasons. Cutting out all snacks in the evening, which is the biggest change imposed by time-restricted fasting, means not only a reduction in calories consumed, but also a reduction in the amount of highly processed ("junk") foods in one's diet as well. 

Furthermore, because intermittent fasting reduces inflammation, it may also improve symptoms of arthritis and even rheumatoid arthritis.

Why does fasting work? It's all about getting your body to switch over from glucose metabolism to ketone metabolism. Our usual 3-meal-a-day diet provides our body with a constant source of fuel in the form of glucose. Once that glucose is used up, though, our body switches to using fatty acids and ketone bodies. Ketone bodies provide more than fuel: as de Cabo and Mattson explain, 

"Ketone bodies regulate the expression and activity of many proteins and molecules that are known to influence health and aging."

Ketone metabolism seems to bring a host of health benefits. The trick is getting our bodies to switch over to it, now and then. If we eat constantly, then our bodies happily subsist on glucose and never make the switch.

Does fasting truly reset your immune system? Six years ago, I concluded that a 3-day fast does the trick, at least partially. The science suggests that, if you can do it, a prolonged fast for 2-3 days will induce your body to clean out some old immune cells and switch on production of new ones. Now we're learning that intermittent fasting, which is easier to do, may work in much the same way, with multiple health benefits.

[Note: one of the authors of the NEJM study, Mark Mattson, is a Professor at Johns Hopkins School of Medicine, making him a colleague of mine. However, we are in different departments and we have never met.]

Edited by Bigbird
  • Like 3

44 minutes ago, Bigbird said:

Has anyone tried this? Any improvements?

I came across this article on Resetting Immunity system.  Didnt know can do this!

This is interesting,   It seems to me there's no harm in trying to see if it works, especially for those with allergy & migraine issues! 

@Chestnut @Chestnut 

Tq for the heads up :)

• Like 1

Shalala lala la la ~ 🌠

i know intermittent fasting is can detox the body system.

and most likely, this resulted in an better immunity system.

uni sydney loctors alrdy confirmed intermittent fasting in mice will change metabolism of liver fatty acid.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2020/03/200310164737.htm

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/news/2020/mar/Positive-benefits-the-liver-and-intermittent-fasting.html

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/does-fasting-release-toxins-in-the-body#2

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Bigbird said:

Can u expand more on your experiment?

the quote is talking about ketogenesis as opposed to gluconeogenesis as a source of fuel for ATP regeneration.

this itself has a strong link to the keto diet or what I practised for years - LCHF. another long story for another day but to reap benefits from intermittent fasting (IF), it's important to also monitor what the body consumes for macro and micronutrients and what it does to the hormones.

anyway since I was doing LCHF before, it's easy to feel full for longer periods and since started it close to 10years ago, never had any gastric pain anymore. again this all contributes to how long one can fast without having hunger pangs or gastric pain.

at my peak at the gym and doing LCHF I did permanently IF of eating between 12-8pm everyday. that means fasting 16hrs a day. I still do that although far less strict and of course gained fats from ill discipline.

for at least a year also I did one meal a day (OMAD) which really kept my bodyfats low and improved muscle maturity more noticeably than before.

this IF thing is not an experiment for me but more of a way of life. rarely (need to) eat breakfast unless it's the weekends and it's really eat for fun or just plain gluttony.

Edited by aaur4man
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

beastgohan-gohanbeast.gif

19 hours ago, Bigbird said:

Can u expand more on your experiment?

16 hours ago, aaur4man said:

the quote is talking about ketogenesis as opposed to gluconeogenesis as a source of fuel for ATP regeneration.

this itself has a strong link to the keto diet or what I practised for years - LCHF. another long story for another day but to reap benefits from intermittent fasting (IF), it's important to also monitor what the body consumes for macro and micronutrients and what it does to the hormones.

anyway since I was doing LCHF before, it's easy to feel full for longer periods and since started it close to 10years ago, never had any gastric pain anymore. again this all contributes to how long one can fast without having hunger pangs or gastric pain.

at my peak at the gym and doing LCHF I did permanently IF of eating between 12-8pm everyday. that means fasting 16hrs a day. I still do that although far less strict and of course gained fats from ill discipline.

for at least a year also I did one meal a day (OMAD) which really kept my bodyfats low and improved muscle maturity more noticeably than before.

this IF thing is not an experiment for me but more of a way of life. rarely (need to) eat breakfast unless it's the weekends and it's really eat for fun or just plain gluttony.

i doing hiit and jiak whatever i want for the past 1.5mths.

so far so good and still losing fats at ard 2kg per mth.

• Like 2

Please sign in or sign up for an account to view this content.

Thanks for sharing!  :good:

Today is my 1st day of Fasting, did 18hrs (18/6) for 3days a week and see how!

Am combining running & fasting!  Hope to start early on autophagy & the benefits! 

So please share any tips! :please:

1 hour ago, socrates469bc said:

i doing hiit and jiak whatever i want for the past 1.5mths.

so far so good and still losing fats at ard 2kg per mth.

Wah u another bad a$$!

Jiah yu!

Edited by Bigbird
  • Wahaha 1

I saw this on TedX -

Mark Mattson is the current Chief of the Laboratory of Neurosciences at the National Institute on Aging. He is also a professor of Neuroscience at The Johns Hopkins University.  Mattson is one of the foremost researchers in the area of cellular and molecular mechanisms underlying neurodegenerative disorders such as Alzheimer’s Disease, Parkinson’s Disease, and amyotrophic lateral sclerosis.

Mattson has done research on intermittent fasting.[3] The National Institute of Health considers him "one of the world’s top experts on the potential cognitive and physical health benefits of intermittent fasting"

This interesting me (see 2nd pic bottom of slides in Red) & if it helps with Immune system! 

spacer.png

spacer.png

See this (DONT TRY IF)  before you embark on Fasting!

https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/news/articles/intermittent-fasting-is-it-for-you

Edited by Bigbird
  • Like 2
  • Full Of Win 1

2 hours ago, aaur4man said:

can also look at Mark Sisson, he's kinda like a veteran in hollistic living encompassing diet, stress (of lackof) , exercise, sleep etc.

Today fasting was tough like going Cold turkey!  But i quite a sadist! So....

Could u advice on meal strategy?  How & what u eat to maintain the fasting duration when u 1st started (later on u condition already so no problem).. What do u drink during fasting?  :wink: .

I have 6hrs to eat, so 3 small meals or 2 mini/1 big,.....  

I am not focusing on weight lost now, but conditioning towards cellular & hopefully Immunity reset benefits!  I have many contact sports injuries in the past, so my body is screwed up! 

17 minutes ago, Bigbird said:

Today fasting was tough like going Cold turkey!  But i quite a sadist! So....

Could u advice on meal strategy?  How & what u eat to maintain the fasting duration when u 1st started (later on u condition already so no problem).. What do u drink during fasting?  :wink: .

I have 6hrs to eat, so 3 small meals or 2 mini/1 big,.....  

I am not focusing on weight lost now, but conditioning towards cellular & hopefully Immunity reset benefits!  I have many contact sports injuries in the past, so my body is screwed up! 

for meal strategies I would say look at paleo or keto recipes, carb flu is coming if Ur avoiding carbs so generally I would boost fats intake real high for the first stage. things like fatty meats - chicken thigh with skin, fatty sio bak, beef steak with fats, fried pork fat cubes (eat like popcorn), grass fed butter (likes of anchor butter, kerrygold etc), bulletproof coffee, avocado, almonds, macadamias, and all the berries. don't forget allllllllllll the leafy greens it may seem like nothing but for the long run it will.

I drink only kopi c kosong and water during strictest times....

if not too strict, just follow ONE motto since aiming for immunity reset - eat only natural foods. any food that has more than 5 ingredients, chances are it's a no-go. 

sports injuries is a totally different thing belonging to sports science domain though .. 

• Like 1

beastgohan-gohanbeast.gif

23 hours ago, aaur4man said:

for meal strategies I would say look at paleo or keto recipes, carb flu is coming if Ur avoiding carbs so generally I would boost fats intake real high for the first stage. things like fatty meats - chicken thigh with skin, fatty sio bak, beef steak with fats, fried pork fat cubes (eat like popcorn), grass fed butter (likes of anchor butter, kerrygold etc), bulletproof coffee, avocado, almonds, macadamias, and all the berries. don't forget allllllllllll the leafy greens it may seem like nothing but for the long run it will.

I drink only kopi c kosong and water during strictest times....

if not too strict, just follow ONE motto since aiming for immunity reset - eat only natural foods. any food that has more than 5 ingredients, chances are it's a no-go. 

sports injuries is a totally different thing belonging to sports science domain though .. 

Thanks for these tips!

Today is my 2nd day of 18/6 fasting!  It was quite siong where i resist my habitual snacking! 

I dont think i will be able to do full Keto but gradually roll over into it.  So far i have been drink 98% water (~4L/day) + 1cup of Copi/T.

Primary goal for this experiment is see if i could really reset my immunity.   Ideal objective is Improve #Brain/CNS, #Immunity/Inflammation  

Current brain is ....:vampire:

Please sign in or sign up for an account to view this content.

• Wahaha 2

23 hours ago, chamfer said:

I tried cutting down 1 meal for a few days and slowly go back to 3 meals weekly.But that not really fasting and i had to do so very gradually as it trigger my migraine badly. 

Maybe i will give this intermittent fssting a try.

Have u found the correlation between fasting & your migraine?

My sinus issue is one of my key reason to do this intermittent fasting!  If can reset immunity, Great!

So far, most of our chronic problems are due to "patching over patches" till it gets haywired eg programming!

So in my case a Reset may help! 

I like the last Pt 7 Brain, Immune & Anti ageing!

On Brain/CNS, dementia is an ageing issue.  Early Onset of Dementia can begin from >30yo (1 in 3 younger person)!   

https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/about-dementia/types-dementia/what-causes-young-onset-dementia

Edited by Bigbird
  • Like 1