More S'poreans may have to be vaccinated as more contagious Covid-19 strains detected

The_King

SINGAPORE - With the discovery of new, more contagious strains of the Covid-19 virus in Britain and South Africa, it may now be important for more Singaporeans to get vaccinated against the coronavirus, said a health expert here.

Professor Teo Yik Ying, dean of the Saw Swee Hock School of Public Health at the National University of Singapore, said on Thursday (Dec 24): "This is the only way we can continue to ensure that the community as a whole is protected."

This means that instead of aiming to get 80 per cent of the population here to be vaccinated against Covid-19, "we may be now looking at 90 per cent or even higher", said Prof Teo, who was speaking in a video interview with The Straits Times on its daily online talk show The Big Story.

The Health Ministry's chief health scientist Professor Tan Chorh Chuan previously told ST that at least 80 per cent of Singapore's population would have to be vaccinated in order to achieve herd immunity against Covid-19.

The new B117 strain of Covid-19 circulating in Britain has been reported to be more contagious, but has not shown signs of being more lethal or severe.

Singapore recorded its first case of this strain on Wednesday - a 17-year-old Singaporean girl who had returned home from Britain.

Prof Teo said on Thursday that current research indicates that new strains will not affect the effectiveness of vaccines, though a better understanding of the new strains is needed before determining the likely impact and making appropriate policy decisions.

"Governments are concerned (about the new strains) because of the impact that they have in managing the spread of Covid-19 in the community, and also any potential impact on vaccine effectiveness and quality control measures," said Prof Teo.

"But for individuals like you and me, as long as we continue to diligently practise the necessary safe management measures, there is no need to be overly concerned with this new mutations," he added, referring to the new strains.

Present research also indicates that the new strains are transmitted between people in the same way as the older strains, though it is more contagious, as an infected person with the new variant may have a higher viral load in his upper respiratory tract, said Prof Teo.

This is why existing measures like wearing a mask properly and maintaining the necessary social distance, if followed, can still minimise the chance of an infected person passing on the virus to someone who is healthy, he said.

Prof Teo also advised that during the year-end festive period, Singaporeans should continue to follow safe distancing rules and measures to keep themselves, as well as their family and friends, safe from the coronavirus

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/more-singaporeans-may-have-to-be-vaccinated-as-more-contagious-covid-19-strains-detected.

• Like 1
  • Wahaha 1

6 hours ago, chamfer said:

Like big hint to force those who do not want to take the vaccine...

I got drug and nose allergy if i take vaccine and got problem later who is responsible for my medical bills.

Moi dunno consider or not. Sonetimes roof of mouth itchy and keep blowing my nose

Edited by Chestnut

Shalala lala la la ~ 🌠

Just now, Chestnut said:

Moi dunni consider or not. Sonetimes roof of mouth itchy and keep blowing my nose

For me i had talked to my doctor before and he told me i got sensitive nose. Beside this i got go for skin test at skin center as i got bad reaction from a otc cream for burns.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, chamfer said:

I got drug and nose allergy if i take vaccine and got problem later who is responsible for my medical bills.

6 hours ago, XianGe said:

No one will foot the bill

u look at how the mainstream media spin the story, u know liao.

now, they no report on wuhan vaccine over-reaction or talk abt the need for human trials to verify the effectiveness of the vaccine.

nb, really think people never study biology.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, chamfer said:

Nobody can force u! 

Deh can only Emphatically Encourage u to do so!  However, as in life, everything is "Your Life is your own responsibility"!

If anything happens after u volunteer to take it.  The social service/counsellor will tell ask u If u have insurance or u like to use medisave? 

Uncle xia xuey will tell u Poopy has  Sinkie in mind for your future healthcare needs therefore they have design Medishield, Eldershield, Careshield-life! 

U will be well taken care of by our 3rd world Ceca medical graduates!

Dont worry u will be well in due course and can work till 85yo! 

#songboh  :p

Edited by Bigbird
  • Wahaha 2

18 minutes ago, The_King said:

dont worry it still volunteer

As u know, Sinkies are famous for FOC must take, if not loose out leh!

I am just interested to see if SInkie who takes C19 vaccines needs to sign any indemnity doc?  I think the task force is busy debating on this!

• Wahaha 2