Holiday Plaza Parkson Closing After 35 Years

The_King

Singaporeans who frequent Johor Bahru (JB) regularly might be familiar with the 3-storey Parkson department store in Holiday Plaza.

parkson-holiday-plaza-1.jpg

Sadly, the outlet will reportedly be shutting for good in less than 2 weeks’ time come 4 Oct, after operating for more than 35 years.

parkson-holiday-plaza-2.jpg

Seems like we’d have one less spot to shop at in JB when border restrictions are eventually lifted.

Holiday Plaza Parkson is popular among Singapore visitors

According to China Press, the Holiday Plaza outlet was Parkson’s first store in JB. Hence, many JB natives are feeling sentimental over the news of its closure.

While Parkson did not disclose the reasons behind the outlet’s closure, Malaysia news outlet Oriental Daily reported that it was likely due to reasons linked to the Covid-19 pandemic.

The department store is also popular among Singapore visitors too, identified as a “checkpoint” for many crossing the Causeway.

parkson-holiday-plaza-3.jpgSource

With the closing of its Holiday Plaza outlet, Parkson has 2 other stores that are in close proximity to the Causeway,

Department store has clearance sale till 4 Oct

As its last day of operations draws closer, the Parkson outlet has also started running promotions in an attempt to ‘clear’ existing stocks until 4 Oct.

Since 15 Sep, the department store has been having a “clearance sale” with discounts of up to 70% off.

parkson-holiday-plaza.jpg

While there weren’t many shoppers on the first 2 days of the sale, crowds started forming once words spread of the promotion.

parkson-holiday-plaza-4.jpeg

In fact, since 17 Sep, long lines were observed from the moment the store opens till it closes at night.

parkson-holiday-plaza-4.jpgSource

China Press reported that the lines stretched the length of 15 stores, and shoppers had to wait 1-2 hours in order to get into the department store.Q

• Like 1
  • Wahaha 1

the company deserves it.

not able to change fast enough in mid 2000s with the rise of amazon and alibaba doomed the company.

the kgks who bot parkson retail at sgd1/share in end 2011 and never sold really r crying until no tears.

https://www.theedgemarkets.com/article/parkson-and-singaporelisted-pra-conundrum

wahahahhahahahhahha

chart-parkson-fd10122018_theedgemarkets.jpg

Edited by socrates469bc
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

20 minutes ago, socrates469bc said:

the company deserves it.

not able to change fast enough in mid 2000s with the rise of amazon and alibaba doomed the company.

the kgks who bot parkson retail at sgd1/share in end 2011 and never sold really r crying until no tears.

https://www.theedgemarkets.com/article/parkson-and-singaporelisted-pra-conundrum

wahahahhahahahhahha

chart-parkson-fd10122018_theedgemarkets.jpg

WTF drop until useless

• Wahaha 1
  • wtf 1

1 hour ago, Bigbird said:

Wah.... I remember this building!

Chiong DVD heaven! 

Hahaha yes one of the best place to chiong since LD time.

Me young time from selling cassette, LD to finally DVD and they crack down the pirated contents 🤣

What a nice place. Forever 3 for 10rm. Later during crackdown 3 for 12rm then slowly increase till 3 for 20rm.

• Wahaha 1

12 hours ago, Bigbird said:

Wah.... I remember this building!

Chiong DVD heaven! 

11 hours ago, Camper said:

Me young time from selling cassette, LD to finally DVD and they crack down the pirated contents 🤣

What a nice place. Forever 3 for 10rm. Later during crackdown 3 for 12rm then slowly increase till 3 for 20rm.

mai act innocent like @Homelander kor kor.

u 2 so innocent until never go to the ktv and siam disco in holiday plaza?????

• Wahaha 2

37 minutes ago, socrates469bc said:

tiagong holiday inn got mala flavor swensens ice cream.

is it jin ho jiak?????

I long time no go there since one time i think 1999 got a sinkie man kena robbed and murdered infront of family in the carpark.

Since then we go plentong area then subsequently tebrau area.

• wtf 1

3 hours ago, Camper said:

I long time no go there since one time i think 1999 got a sinkie man kena robbed and murdered infront of family in the carpark.

Since then we go plentong area then subsequently tebrau area.

plentong area has nothing interesting that i know of.

tebrau area quite happening with many nice massage atbs and sometimes can find nearby college xmms go sing ktv with u.

another chiongster king spotted!!!!!!1

wahahahahhahah

• Wahaha 1

28 minutes ago, socrates469bc said:

plentong area has nothing interesting that i know of.

tebrau area quite happening with many nice massage atbs and sometimes can find nearby college xmms go sing ktv with u.

another chiongster king spotted!!!!!!1

wahahahahhahah

Me dont go chiong huan leh 🤣

Me family man 🤣

• Wahaha 1

On 9/24/2020 at 11:33 PM, Camper said:

Wah u still remember the price ah?

VCD & DVD is the start of mass piracy and me 99% not watching movies in theaters liao!  

On 9/25/2020 at 10:37 AM, socrates469bc said:

mai act innocent like @Homelander kor kor.

u 2 so innocent until never go to the ktv and siam disco in holiday plaza?????

Mia an ni lah!!!

Me always go with char bos and family.  No can go KTVs or notti!  :umchio:

• Wahaha 2

11 hours ago, Bigbird said:

Wah u still remember the price ah?

VCD & DVD is the start of mass piracy and me 99% not watching movies in theaters liao!  

Mia an ni lah!!!

Me always go with char bos and family.  No can go KTVs or notti!  :umchio:

Each movie often need 2 or 3 disc. Last time sell pirated disc is huat until siao 🤣

12 hours ago, Camper said:

Each movie often need 2 or 3 disc. Last time sell pirated disc is huat until siao 🤣

I missed the good old days!

Even the excitement of going to JB to look for DVD is like a box of chocolate!

U dont know what they have!

• Wahaha 2

12 hours ago, Bigbird said:

I missed the good old days!

Even the excitement of going to JB to look for DVD is like a box of chocolate!

U dont know what they have!

Nowadays is ask for sic code on internet.

Last time the sell dvd guy will recommend which series good. Not nice to watch come back here he leefund 🤣