My Harvest KYM?

Camper

26 minutes ago, Bigbird said:

Please recommend me/us easy to maintain and "essential" plants eg chili, lime..etc... for beginners to plant!   Especially in our weather condition!

haha chili not at all easy. lime and lemon i will be planting after moving to new home.

to have quick harvest, i recommend lemongrass and basil for rooting. for basil in particular, use thai basil.

Thai basil almost got no problematic pest and diseases. The only problem is that thai basil will become "old" after 1 year usually, they began to grow woody stems and lots of flowers.

For the flowers, either you wait for them to turn dry and collect seeds, or in my case I actually cut those flowers and boil as tea :relieved:

Sage is another plant that is easy and flavorful. The leaves are big and just a few in a pot of soup can gives a nice flavor. It taste like thyme imho. Then one more herb I would recommend is Rocket. Very tasty and germinates within half a day. By the end of the week you can cut the leaves for cooking pasta for example. I have lots of it right now in my hydroponics system.

All these herb seeds you can buy from sheng siong. A packet of seeds cost between $1 to $4.

To germinate, scatter a handful of seeds on a pot of soil. spray water. once germinated, pluck out those weak ones. << this is easy way.

The more delicate way is to germinate on a piece of tissue, once it starts to produce root, I will transfer into an egg shell container hole with soil, before finally transferring into a pot when the shoot have a few pieces of leaves. I find this to be more successful. My parents will occasionally request me to help them germinate.

vegetable wise, kang kong is easy. but you have to harvest pretty young otherwise if it became old, it will turn bitter. Milky white bok choi is slightly more difficult growing from seeds as they take awhile to germinate. I have very poor success with lettuce so I can't really comment.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, socrates469bc said:

capsicum is tropic, so shld be able to grow well in sgp.

but surprisingly, i havent heard of any dedicated capsicum growers in bolehsia or indon.

if not wrong, capsicums in sgp is imported from oz.

because mostly in our region we plant chili padi. capsicum not very popular it seems.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Camper said:

because mostly in our region we plant chili padi. capsicum not very popular it seems.

I would like to try to grown capsicum/peppers.  It can be eaten as a veg right!

But but but..... Where to get the seeds?  Or can i buy a capsicum and use the seeds to grow?

11 minutes ago, Camper said:

Sage is another plant that is easy and flavorful. The leaves are big and just a few in a pot of soup can gives a nice flavor. It taste like thyme imho. Then one more herb I would recommend is Rocket. Very tasty and germinates within half a day. By the end of the week you can cut the leaves for cooking pasta for example. I have lots of it right now in my hydroponics system.

All these herb seeds you can buy from sheng siong. A packet of seeds cost between $1 to $4.

To germinate, scatter a handful of seeds on a pot of soil. spray water. once germinated, pluck out those weak ones. << this is easy way.

The more delicate way is to germinate on a piece of tissue, once it starts to produce root, I will transfer into an egg shell container hole with soil, before finally transferring into a pot when the shoot have a few pieces of leaves. I find this to be more successful. My parents will occasionally request me to help them germinate.

vegetable wise, kang kong is easy. but you have to harvest pretty young otherwise if it became old, it will turn bitter. Milky white bok choi is slightly more difficult growing from seeds as they take awhile to germinate. I have very poor success with lettuce so I can't really comment.

Lime - Check! For my sambal balachan!  Hooo hoo.....

Thai Basil - Check!  But i have never use Basil for cooking before! 

Sage - This is really new to me!  Do u use this often?  Or once in a long while?

EG Bay leaves - i use for cooking curry, but growing it is like a huge plant! So i just buy dry bay leaves and keep!  1 pack cheap and last long time!

Rocket - Check!  Is it easy to grow and maintain? 

You mean to pluck out the "weak ones" and discard? 

I dont have any fancy hydroponic system, just small pot and some soil.  Limited space and me supper lazy bird!

Are the above recommendation, hardy ie can take outdoor direct sunlight? 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Bigbird said:

I would like to try to grown capsicum/peppers.  It can be eaten as a veg right!

But but but..... Where to get the seeds?  Or can i buy a capsicum and use the seeds to grow?

Lime - Check! For my sambal balachan!  Hooo hoo.....

Thai Basil - Check!  But i have never use Basil for cooking before! 

Sage - This is really new to me!  Do u use this often?  Or once in a long while?

EG Bay leaves - i use for cooking curry, but growing it is like a huge plant! So i just buy dry bay leaves and keep!  1 pack cheap and last long time!

Rocket - Check!  Is it easy to grow and maintain? 

You mean to pluck out the "weak ones" and discard? 

I dont have any fancy hydroponic system, just small pot and some soil.  Limited space and me supper lazy bird!

Are the above recommendation, hardy ie can take outdoor direct sunlight? 

Yes, capsicum you can germinate the seeds directly. Same for tomato, avocado (if you have the land and patience), rock melon, lady fingers, brinjal etc. All have been tried and tested by urban farmers before. I have seen a number of people planting watermelons and rockmelons off their hdb balcony or walkway.

Can search for Urban farmers singapore facebook group and some other groups to see what others do.

Yes sage i use quite often, but not as much as thai basil for cooking. Thai basil grows like mad and very fast i kid you not. They leaves are very flavorful, tastes a bit like curry leaves.

Rocket is very easy to grow but you might want to harvest early as the plant tastes bitter when old imho. When young, it tastes fresh and slight bitter, just like what you eat on atas pizza.

Recommended is discard weak ones. But for me i usually leave them be and see how they grow. If they dies i will remove.

Yes in fact most plants best to have full outdoor sun. Like lime, lemongrass, thai basil, rosemary, these plants need full sun. Vege usually i wont make them expose under full sun and rain. They are more delicate. If you live in landed, then perhaps can consider covering with a shaded netting canopy on top of the vege. Shield from heavy rain as well. For apartments no issue, water can be controlled and sunlight can simply shift away.

• Like 1

Screenshot_20200808-235811_Firefox.thumb.jpg.34d4cd85010cc441ba0df3b9c5a36105.jpg

This is good way to germinate seeds. Once shoot up like this, bury the whole egg shell into the soil, expose just the green shoots. Easy because you will not make a mess pinching the plants and planting into soil. You could use other skins like orange for example. Possible also. Tried before.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, aaur4man said:

Got consider shift to China ? :umchio:

Yes I did. Land in ulu China cheap. But need to be tiong to buy or need to buy under atb. Also dunno when atb or tiong gahmen will screw you over. 

I think Taiwan or Japan better choice but more sexpensive. Angmo countries are out because of discrimination issue. I think there will be more friction against China in the coming decades and all Asians will get more trouble from angmos.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Standing Birdy said:

Yes I did. Land in ulu China cheap. But need to be tiong to buy or need to buy under atb. Also dunno when atb or tiong gahmen will screw you over. 

I think Taiwan or Japan better choice but more sexpensive. Angmo countries are out because of discrimination issue. I think there will be more friction against China in the coming decades and all Asians will get more trouble from angmos.

Can look at sabah also. Especially mt kinabalu. Nice place nice weather.. after this virus thingy blows over i want to visit.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Camper said:

Can look at sabah also. Especially mt kinabalu. Nice place nice weather.. after this virus thingy blows over i want to visit.

I'm thinking of a place that with four seasons. Just kinda daydreaming about it for now. I have lived on farms and there is some farm work I don't like to do. I think in all work there are things you like and things you don't.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Standing Birdy said:

foreigners can buy property in china under personal name now but will be subject to property tax.

if buy under atb wives or gfs, no need to pay property tax as of now.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Standing Birdy said:

I'm thinking of a place that with four seasons. Just kinda daydreaming about it for now. I have lived on farms and there is some farm work I don't like to do. I think in all work there are things you like and things you don't.

waiting for cheap vineyards to be on the mkt now.

pick grapes and be wine distiller is simple life. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, socrates469bc said:

waiting for cheap vineyards to be on the mkt now.

pick grapes and be wine distiller is simple life. 

Where are you looking? Australia and NZ have some good estates but there's angmo issue. And Aust has drought and wildfire issues.

I think foreigners can only buy residential apartments in China. And need to pay taxes for some years to get the hukou first. The number of years depends on which city/state. Still cannot buy land. But I might be wrong. Haven't looked at the regulations recently, only hearsay from friends.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Standing Birdy said:

Where are you looking? Australia and NZ have some good estates but there's angmo issue. And Aust has drought and wildfire issues.

I think foreigners can only buy residential apartments in China. And need to pay taxes for some years to get the hukou first. The number of years depends on which city/state. Still cannot buy land. But I might be wrong. Haven't looked at the regulations recently, only hearsay from friends.

foreigners can only buy residential apartments in tiongland like in siamland.

if want to buy land, have to use company name.

average tiongland lease also shorter than sgp at 75 yrs. i have even seen some at 50 yrs.

hukou conversion not easy done since different city, different regulations.

i m looking at oz but bushfires r a major issue, especially in the eastern states.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Camper said:

Hokkaido is the perfect 4 seasons weather. Can earn tourist money also. Just not sure if can buy the land there. I know many people buy apartments as holiday home.

I think hard to grow food there. Need greenhouse. The snow no joke. Will need to clear every day. But good for skiing.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Standing Birdy said:

I think hard to grow food there. Need greenhouse. The snow no joke. Will need to clear every day. But good for skiing.

Talking about skiing. Got many sinkies invest in niseko, can check it out 👍

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Standing Birdy said:

Maybe cause of tiong virus, recently Birdy keep thinking of moving overseas to buy land and grow own food. Simple retirement life.

Birds of the feathers should stick together!

So can "lim whisky gong jiao wei"!

• Wahaha 1

4 hours ago, Camper said:

Talking about skiing. Got many sinkies invest in niseko, can check it out 👍

Yes I recall ppty agents pushing those properties. Those depending on holiday rental or airbnb to support mortgage might be in trouble soon, if not already in trouble.

2 hours ago, Bigbird said:

Birds of the feathers should stick together!

So can "lim whisky gong jiao wei"!

This birdy prefer the company of kitties. Want gong jiao wei online can gong:haha:

• Like 2

This is sage that i helped to germinate and grow to a small plant.

Each leave for a small pot of soup is enough. Chop thinly and garnish on pasta or add to soup also good. Smells and taste like thyme according to my taste bud lol

20200809_170021.thumb.jpg.866857ab2455c4a87c428b2384ba272b.jpg

• Like 3

The strong flavour of sage means that a little goes a long way, especially if you're using dried leaves, so use sparingly. Sage goes well with pork, beef, duck and chicken recipes, and fatty meats in particular. In Italy it is commonly chopped, mixed with melted butter and served stirred into pasta or gnocchi. Sage recipes - BBC Food BBC › food › sage
  • Like 3

Rooting rosemary is as simple as..

20170917_135841.thumb.jpg.d83a01c90b27950071009d498297c1a2.jpg

My old lemongrass after rooting and putting into soil, they will grow more shoots quickly

20170917_135810.thumb.jpg.a26c1a20d1c6f299447d38fbe88794b1.jpg

Same with thai basil

20170908_192028.thumb.jpg.8ebb7daf545f6cf764fdaf90d9a2dac1.jpg

Then chop some garlic and cook them fresh. Actually if you wish, garlic also can grow. But they are cheap so i dont want to put effort into growing garlic

20170927_160029.thumb.jpg.0b937c0e40e50ab1f51a653b0a058598.jpg

• Like 4

21 hours ago, Standing Birdy said:

Yes I recall ppty agents pushing those properties. Those depending on holiday rental or airbnb to support mortgage might be in trouble soon, if not already in trouble.

This birdy prefer the company of kitties. Want gong jiao wei online can gong:haha:

Surely i would like some kitties for my companionship too! 

Please sign in or sign up for an account to view this content.

If just u and me, I wouldn't know what to do if Bird Standing in front of me! Awkward & suspicious leh!  :hehe:

Edited by Bigbird
  • fapfapfap 1