My Harvest KYM?

Camper

1 hour ago, socrates469bc said:

peat soil is best but environmentally damaging.

so most hobby farmers use compost additives to their soil.

commercial vege farmers use natural compost or organic materials  during soil preparation.

2 hours ago, Chestnut said:

Wat kind of soil u use for veggie planting?

A farmer told me a very effective method which i used for my asparagus.

50% cheap coarse sand. 50% cheapest soil. Done. If not, 40% sand 40% cheapest soil and 20% potting mix. Mix them well then plant.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Camper said:

50% cheap coarse sand. 50% cheapest soil. Done. If not, 40% sand 40% cheapest soil and 20% potting mix. Mix them well then plant.

another method which i dont think can use in sgp is use chicken sai pellets to fertilize the soil during prep.

a cheaper method is let the chickens run and pang sai ard the field for a few days.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, socrates469bc said:

another method which i dont think can use in sgp is use chicken sai pellets to fertilize the soil during prep.

a cheaper method is let the chickens run and pang sai ard the field for a few days.

Can allow, why not. Many home farmers uses chicken sai directly. They buy off from farmers. Not sure how they get it but got suppliers. If not, use blood and bone meals also good. Potash, if you burn joss stick at home is also a good source.

For me i use egg shell soak in water and orange peels mostly. Banana peels attract too many fruit flies. Also to use epsom salt for fruiting plants. These are very low cost and effort for small time home farmers.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Camper said:

Can allow, why not. Many home farmers uses chicken sai directly. They buy off from farmers. Not sure how they get it but got suppliers. If not, use blood and bone meals also good. Potash, if you burn joss stick at home is also a good source.

For me i use egg shell soak in water and orange peels mostly. Banana peels attract too many fruit flies. Also to use epsom salt for fruiting plants. These are very low cost and effort for small time home farmers.

chicken sai damn smelly but if neighbors dont complain, then ok.

used tea leaves also very good for use in compost.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Camper said:

Any type of soil?

We wanna buy but scare buy wromg

• Like 1

Shalala lala la la ~ 🌠

On 8/5/2020 at 10:45 AM, Camper said:

Used to grow lemongrass. I use the leaves to boil water to drink.

Market bought lemon grass, cut the top and leave around 10cm of the bulb. Fill a glass of water, place the cut lemon grass inside the glass. Leave it under the sun for around 2 weeks. Add water as required. Once rooted just plant into soil. Very easy. Same rooting method for rosemary and basil.

On the lemongrass topic, i went asking around where have the lemongrass leaves. But the uncle/aunties sellers says nobody sells leaves one.  SO pai seh!

I was told the lemongrass leaves edges is sharp like a blade! Can cut your fingers easily.  Is this true?

If so, how do u wash and prep to boil the leaves?

On 8/7/2020 at 8:35 PM, socrates469bc said:

I love to grow this! Capsicum is it easy to grow this in our climate? 

Anyone grow this before?

• Wahaha 1

3 minutes ago, Bigbird said:

On the lemongrass topic, i went asking around where have the lemongrass leaves. But the uncle/aunties sellers says nobody sells leaves one.  SO pai seh!

I was told the lemongrass leaves edges is sharp like a blade! Can cut your fingers easily.  Is this true?

If so, how do u wash and prep to boil the leaves?

Anyone grow this before?

Haha it is really true nobody sells the leave because it is sharp. For me washing involves soaking with baking soda water.

When we cook for water, either tie it like pandan leaves if long or i can into bits, place inside tea bag filters and pour boiling water to drink like tea.

You should try rooting one stalk to know what im talking about. Lemon grass are one of the easiest plant to grow.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

Any type of soil?

We wanna buy but scare buy wromg

Buy the cheapest sand and soil. Those premium potting mix are according to farmers, chop carrot lol. Those 1 bag $2 type from far east flora can liao.

If you are worried, then i recommend baba brand premium mix soil. Not bad actually and recommended by many hobbyist

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Camper said:

Haha it is really true nobody sells the leave because it is sharp. For me washing involves soaking with baking soda water.

When we cook for water, either tie it like pandan leaves if long or i can into bits, place inside tea bag filters and pour boiling water to drink like tea.

You should try rooting one stalk to know what im talking about. Lemon grass are one of the easiest plant to grow.

Please recommend me/us easy to maintain and "essential" plants eg chili, lime..etc... for beginners to plant!   Especially in our weather condition!

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Bigbird said:

Anyone grow this before?

capsicum is tropic, so shld be able to grow well in sgp.

but surprisingly, i havent heard of any dedicated capsicum growers in bolehsia or indon.

if not wrong, capsicums in sgp is imported from oz.

• Like 3