Upgraded my shock absorbers today

aaur4man

At the previous workshop I went. So far mechanic is pretty good workmanship, quite standard and don't see him cut corners.

IMG_20200718_190603.thumb.jpg.153c402b56f92c27d86daba58d2334a7.jpg

With some help managed to bring in Bilstein B4

Turns out I was right on preventive maintenance; front right shock kind of "seize abit" forgot what the mechanic said, it kinda gets stuck so it won't return to full height. Even I could sense it that's why wanted to change. 

Rear ones are soft like tofu can press with one hand.

New ones tested to be solid (need bodyweight to depress each individual shock).

Didn't test much after change; just drove home straight after. It felt uneventful as I drove a little fast, whereas before it seemed to have a little slip here and there. 

Will update after a week.

Pictures of stock shocks in next post.

beastgohan-gohanbeast.gif

FR for Bilstein B4:

This is honest to heart, owner cum driver perspective.

Take note that part of the overall feel i'm getting from these shocks are also in combination with recent gearbox ATF oil change and brand new tires but do read on:

Took the car out for a combined total of about 70km drive today. Heavy traffic in the morning; so i just enjoyed the quietness of the new comfort tires running in their infancy mileage with much smoother, more muted gear shifts. Could already feel just that wee bit more morning calm, composed posture while rolling through towards the highway.

On low speed, the Polish Goodyear EG2s with new B4s soak in the imperfect asphalt surfaces pretty well. While road noise is almost certainly audible over rough road, its still pretty muffled and hardly any rough vibrations felt. Quite surreal, sans the hip hop rap music.

While trying to filter left quickly into an unforgiving traffic into the highway, the acceleration feels consistent as opposed to intermittent hesitation before; sometimes even shudders. The improved torque transfer put a little grin on me as i pulled away from incoming cars. Smooth, almost criminal.

After the traffic cleared up I was doing, well, "90" on lane 1 and it felt reeeaaally "uneventful". There's nothing stiff about them struts; its not as though im gonna win any race with these. However, it felt as though im floating yet planted on the ground. I'm in control. The traction is always whispering "im still here" while gliding through scenery with haste. 

When travelling at highway speeds in peak hour traffic its almost unavoidable to engage our boosted brakes once in a while. Even so, the nosedive effect never dropped any hints like it used to. The white stallion retains her confidence; stomach in chest out. 

Exiting the highway brings me to the small, poorly maintained winding roads with no traffic. This was where I felt the German twintubes shine - completely pliant throughout and very willing to emerge out of the turns. Noice. 

Then the boring workday occured. -commercial break-

now its afternoon and good time to put it to some tests. turning out to the main road, an opportunity presented itself white i was behind an SUV approaching a slower vehicle (note: in the distance) on the adjacent lane. BAM! downshift, right overtake, left overtake, right overtake with minimal bodyroll during these sporty maneuvers. What a graceful dance.

Back onto highway, hit the bends and pulling away at "90" effortlessly akin to tamiya on rails. Usually on such bends I would be feeling a little tilting outwards on a lower speed but no, the advertised "OE replacements" went with the flow pretty darn well. Damn its like sitting on good quality sofa with high density foam. Makes my butt feel a little more premium.

After exiting the highway I merely focused on my favourite move - accelerating out of bends. I used to experience intermittent shuddering and le mistress would sometimes protest with vibrations on her shoes but as of now its kind of gone. Buttery smooth.

in conclusion, the Bilstein B4 OE replacement shock absorbers are an elegant replacement for me. Its really comfort built in tubes with a tinge of sportiness. It doesnt break any record, but neither does it break the bank. Compared to what I would pay for original GM parts, these are definitely the better pairs.

All in all this wear and tear replacement has been an enjoyable one and once my last niggle gets sorted out, my ride will be perfect.

Go B or go home.

Please sign in or sign up for an account to view this content.

Edited by aaur4man
  • Like 1

beastgohan-gohanbeast.gif