Protest In Bangkok Started 18/Jul/2020

Yamato

https://www.barrons.com/news/scuffles-and-song-as-thai-youth-protest-in-bangkok-01595072404?refsec=afp-news

Scuffles And Song As Thai Youth Protest In Bangkok

AFP - Agence France Presse By AFP - Agence France Presse July 18, 2020

Scuffles broke out as thousands of mainly young and black-clad Thai protesters converged on Saturday at Bangkok's Democracy Monument, in the city's rowdiest anti-government protest in years.

Thailand, a kingdom whose rambunctious politics is defined by coups and often deadly street protests, is facing an unprecedented economic shock due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

With the economy in freefall, anger against a government stacked with elderly former generals and supporters of the royalist establishment is bubbling.

The crowd sang vitriolic anti-government rap songs and waved placards denouncing the administration of former army chief Prayut Chan-O-Cha -- and calling for the abolition of the Thailand's strict royal defamation law.

"The government doesn't care about us, so either we come out or we lose anyway," said 18-year-old student called Sang, giving one name only.

"The laws protect the rich and leave the people with nothing

Placards against the royal defamation law -- dubbed '112' after the criminal code it falls under -- protects Thailand's monarchy and its unassailable and super-rich King Maha Vajiralongkorn from criticism.

"We have to come out, we have nothing else left," added Sang's friend 'Mee', also wearing the black uniform of the protesters, which several said was borrowed from the pro-democracy protests that rocked Hong Kong last year.

Hundreds of police tried to block off access to the Democracy Monument, whose concrete concourse was suddenly filled in on Saturday afternoon with pot plants.

Scuffles broke out as protesters tipped over metal barriers and forced their way through police lines to hold a noisy rally at the memorial, which was built to mark the 1932 revolution that established a constitutional monarchy.

Analysts say the kingdom is slipping back towards absolutism under the reign of Rama X and the hardline royalist generals around him.

Saturday's protest could be the largest since the country's 2014 coup, led by former army chief Prayut

The years since have seen the economy cramp up, freedoms shrink under new laws and Prayut reinvent himself as an elected premier under a constitution the army drafted.

Thailand's previous tit-for-tat rounds of political street politics were led by pro- and anti-establishment billionaires with large political machines.

But leaders of the nascent student and youth movement say their activism is organised organically across social media, where anger fuels top trending daily Twitter hashtags against the government.

Thailand's economy is forecast to lose up to 10 percent this year due to the pandemic which has floored tourism and exports, battering the middle and working classes

Hundreds of thousands of students are expected to be jobless when they graduate in September.

• Like 2
  • Wahaha 1

3 minutes ago, Yamato said:

110171932_10158053114591154_3668875180497740409_n.jpg.665cde373e21349eb4c6003f9c266d39.jpg

Protesters are still there now and want to stay overnight. Hope got no crackdown 

the thai military is very united this time rd for some reason.

i think the reason why this political impasse has been going on since 2006 can be attributed to the bangkok curse and the chakri curse.

will be interesting to see how the feng shui adjustment carried out by the past Ramas work out.

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, socrates469bc said:

the thai military is very united this time rd for some reason.

i think the reason why this political impasse has been going on since 2006 can be attributed to the bangkok curse and the chakri curse.

will be interesting to see how the feng shui adjustment carried out by the past Ramas work out.

Can share more on the curses & feng shui adjustments?

1 hour ago, Bigbird said:

Can share more on the curses & feng shui adjustments?

the curse of bangkok prophesied that the chakri dynasty will end 150 yrs after bkk is founded.

150 yrs after bkk founded was 1932, the yr when siam became a constitutional monarchy.

democracy monument, where the students gathered, commemorate this event

feng shui adjustment for this curse was that the bangkok city pillar shrine has 2 pillar shrines instead of the normal 1.

another feng shui adjustment was the Rama VI bridge.

https://www.khaosodenglish.com/politics/2017/04/21/curse-haunted-bangkok-150-years-now/

the chakri curse prophesied that the chakri dynasty will only produced 9 kings.

https://www.economist.com/asia/2016/12/03/thailands-royal-succession-is-finally-complete

the grand palace in bkk was built and expanded over the yrs based on feng shui.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, socrates469bc said:

the curse of bangkok prophesied that the chakri dynasty will end 150 yrs after bkk is founded.

150 yrs after bkk founded was 1932, the yr when siam became a constitutional monarchy.

democracy monument, where the students gathered, commemorate this event

feng shui adjustment for this curse was that the bangkok city pillar shrine has 2 pillar shrines instead of the normal 1.

another feng shui adjustment was the Rama VI bridge.

https://www.khaosodenglish.com/politics/2017/04/21/curse-haunted-bangkok-150-years-now/

the chakri curse prophesied that the chakri dynasty will only produced 9 kings.

https://www.economist.com/asia/2016/12/03/thailands-royal-succession-is-finally-complete

the grand palace in bkk was built and expanded over the yrs based on feng shui.

Wow..!

Thanks for the background. Interesting read.

But why are they protesting yesterday 14hrs ago?

Suppose to be 24th June right?

5 hours ago, Bigbird said:

Wow..!

Thanks for the background. Interesting read.

But why are they protesting yesterday 14hrs ago?

Suppose to be 24th June right?

yup, the siam revolution was on 24th june 1932.

dont think there is any reason they choose this date, most likely the students r just dulan with the economic conditions and the incompetent thai govt.

• Like 2

simply put,

the current thai dynasty started from King Rama I.

King Rama I got the throne, after overthrowing King Taksin.

Taksin and Rama I were good buddies when they were fighting foreign invaders.

Taksin led an army, won the wars and finally unite Siam. Taksin became king and gave Rama I an important role in his court.

But, 15 years into Taksin's reign, Rama I overthrew Takin in a coup, beheaded him and made himself King Rama I.

Rumour was that the ghost of Taksin is very angry and cursed Rama's dynasty to not last beyond a certain time.

The current problems (coups, protest, riots, martial law) in Thailand was started after the overthrowing of Thaksin as prime minister.

so the superstitious thai people are now getting uneasy with the current thai dynasty.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, meng.huat said:

simply put,

the current thai dynasty started from King Rama I.

King Rama I got the throne, after overthrowing King Taksin.

Taksin and Rama I were good buddies when they were fighting foreign invaders.

Taksin led an army, won the wars and finally unite Siam. Taksin became king and gave Rama I an important role in his court.

But, 15 years into Taksin's reign, Rama I overthrew Takin in a coup, beheaded him and made himself King Rama I.

Rumour was that the ghost of Taksin is very angry and cursed Rama's dynasty to not last beyond a certain time.

The current problems (coups, protest, riots, martial law) in Thailand was started after the overthrowing of Thaksin as prime minister.

so the superstitious thai people are now getting uneasy with the current thai dynasty.

yup, thats the taksin curse

taksin cursed that the chakri dynasty will end when a bridge connecting thonburi and rattanankosin is build.

in fact, such a bridge, the memorial bridge was opened just b4 the siamese revolution of 1932.

talking abt coincidence.

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, Bigbird said:

So the constant Yellow vs Red vs army vs ??? protest/unrest is due to the curse too?

Sorry i no study history, just love the food & everyday people!   

yellow shirt red shirt white shirt are proxy armies of different fractions fighting for control of the thai govt.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, meng.huat said:

yellow shirt red shirt white shirt are proxy armies of different fractions fighting for control of the thai govt.

Every other countries people can protest "peacefully" freely!

Xingahpoh only protest violently on edmw!

Seems like we missing out on the fun! :umchio:

• Like 3
  • Wahaha 1

1 hour ago, Bigbird said:

u can join pinkdot. they every year also protesting with free love.

• Wahaha 5

11 hours ago, Bigbird said:

So the constant Yellow vs Red vs army vs ??? protest/unrest is due to the curse too?

Sorry i no study history, just love the food & everyday people!   

11 hours ago, meng.huat said:

24% of politicians started off in politics becos they wanted to do something good b4 they became corrupt.

75% of politicians joined the game becos they wanted to have an easy lucrative career.

1% went in becos they cannot stand the current system and have an altruistic outlook to change the world for the better.

however, 99% of this 1% became intoxicated with power after attaining it while the 1% of this 1% died b4 attaining power.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Bigbird said:

9 hours ago, meng.huat said:

u can join pinkdot. they every year also protesting with free love.

freedom to have pgd sex is more important than freedom of speech in sgp.

• Wahaha 2