Bigbird

On 6/11/2022 at 8:58 PM, The_King said:

https://www.tatlerasia.com/dining/drinks/best-worst-oat-milk-singapore-ranked-according-to-lactose-intolerant-person

Two years ago, I was diagnosed with Crohn’s Disease, a type of inflammatory bowel disease that inflames your digestive tract and leads to pain, fatigue, diarrhoea and more. As a major foodie (and occasional food writer), this was terrifying for me because suddenly, I had to pay very close attention to my diet in order to figure out which foods triggered me and which were ‘safe’ foods. So many foods have gone out the window in the last few years but arguably the worst elimination I had to make was dairy. 

I could no longer manage cheese, yoghurt, my morning dose of Milo (this writer still does not drink coffee) or milk and I was devastated.

Don’t miss: 5 Vegan Tiktok Trends You Need to Try For a More Plant-Based Diet

At this point, I had already tried a number of almond milk brands in an attempt to substitute animal milk and I hated all of them equally and with just as much passion. This is really what depressed me the most. I couldn’t seem to find something that would adequately replace dairy (soy milk has a very different flavour profile) and figured that I would simply have to give up the pleasures of a cold glass of milk for good.

So, you can imagine my surprise when one day, someone bought me a carton of Alpro’s This Is Not Milk Whole oat milk and I tried it for the first time in my life. All it really took was a few sips for me to realise that the hype around almond milk at that point was unfounded. Oat milk deserves all the attention it has garnered over the years and I had no idea why it took me this long to figure it out. 

Of course, not all oat milk is made the same. This led me down a rabbit hole of searching for the best oat milk on the island. Since then, I have tried just about every brand of oat milk out there (and as you know, plant-based milk brands have been popping up left, right and centre as the world attempts to be more sustainable and healthy). 

However, plant-based milk is expensive and there’s nothing worse than buying a whole pricy carton only to realise that it tastes like watery milk soup with a bitter aftertaste to boot.

So this World Environment Day, I present to you, a very highly researched and extremely well thought out list of the worst to best oat milk brands and flavours on the island, ranked, for your experimentation. 

1. All Good Original Oat Milk

Rating: 1/10

All Good is a fairly new oat milk brand in Singapore that is dairy-free, soy-free and something that we are slowly starting to see in online supermarkets.

Unfortunately, and I want to be delicate here, I took one sip and immediately regretted it. The milk was watery (not as creamy as one would assume) and left the worst aftertaste.

I want to guess that perhaps this largely has to do with the fact that the milk is unsweetened? But as someone who recently quit dairy and is venturing into the world of oat milk, I say skip this for now. Hopefully, as the brand develops, its formulation will too. 

Buy it here.

2. Oatly Organic Oat Drink

Rating: 2/10

When I started my journey to finding the best oat milk in Singapore, one of the first ones I tried was Oatly Organic Oat Drink. The drink uses 100 per cent organic oats, no added sugar and has betaglucans, which are good for the heart and help to maintain cholesterol levels. 

I really wanted to like this one but the lack of sweetness made it a little difficult to swallow; it even tasted rather bitter and left a very grainy aftertaste. I do appreciate that it is healthier than some of my actual favourites on the list so if this is what you’re looking for... maybe, and this is a big maybe, this will suit you. 

Buy it here.

3. Oatly Oat Drink

Rating: 4/10

We have another Oatly carton here, people. As this is available almost everywhere, I was excited to be a fan—but I’ll be honest, it tasted almost like baby milk powder.

It was slightly grainy and left a slightly bitter aftertaste. That said, it isn’t the worst oat milk out there and in a pinch, I’d grab it in a convenience store if I really had no choice. Oat milk is not as prominent in our regular supermarkets as it should be so convenience sometimes really wins.

Buy it here.

4. Oatside's Chocolate Hazelnut Oat Milk

Rating: 5/10

Very few brands do chocolate-flavoured oat milk well, and many try to offer an extra option (such as chocolate hazelnut) when they really should not be making an existing problem worse (if you get what I mean).

However, Oatside (which, spoiler alert, is my personal favourite oat milk brand), nails it. Oatside, a brand that was launched in Singapore just last year, uses a blend of sustainably sourced Indonesian-African cacao beans and 100 per cent Turkish hazelnuts in their chocolate hazelnut oat milk. It also uses coconut palm nectar, so you get a light caramel taste that blends seamlessly with the nutty taste. 

The milk itself as a result has a deep flavour profile that doesn’t leave it tasting diluted or watery. Its only flaw would be that it does have a mild aftertaste, which I am not a fan of. That said, this is not altogether unpleasant like many brands are, so I will continue to patronise Oatside. 

Buy it here.

Don't miss: Singaporean Ex-CFO of Heinz ABC Creates Oatside, a Creamy Oat Milk, to Win Over Dairy Lovers

5. Oatbedient's Chocolate Oat Milk

Rating: 7/10

As mentioned above, this writer does not drink coffee so for a very long time, I would rely on my warm cup of Milo in the morning to get me past that sleepy stage of the day. When I switched exclusively to oat milk, one major issue was that I no longer had the option of a warm drink in the mornings. If you didn’t know, while you can heat up oat milk, you have to do it very carefully because overheating it can change its consistency and make it very thick. Who has time for such a struggle in the morning?

So when I discovered Oatbedient, which is (according to my research) one of the newest local oat milk brands to have popped up in the market, I was thrilled. 

Oatbedient is unique because it comes in sachets. The milk is powdered and you only need to add hot water to make your beverage. The packets make it a fuss-free and easy way to prepare my morning drink especially when I have no time for breakfast and can just bring a sachet with me to make in the office.

The milk itself is not overly sweet and the malty flavour comes through very clearly without leaving a bitter aftertaste.

Buy it here.

6. Oatly's Chocolate Oat Milk

Rating: 8/10

Before my diagnosis, one of my favourite things to do on busy office days (or days when my social battery was dead), was to grab a sandwich and a little carton of milk from a nearby store and enjoy it in the office during lunchtime. 

Now as you probably know, it has really only been in the last few months that plant-based milk has been making its way into our convenience stores in smaller sized portions. For those who know, this path was paved primarily by Oatly.

Oatly was one of the first brands I saw that offered its chocolate and original flavour options in little boxes with sustainable paper straws. I have tried both flavours and will easily say that the chocolate version is much superior (as you can probably tell from my conclusion above that the original version tastes much like baby milk power).

The cocoa used in the drink is sustainably sourced and richly flavoured so you get a very smooth drink that isn’t grainy (yes, oat milk can be quite grainy). It also has that full-bodied taste you typically associate with regular chocolate milk. 

The little cartons always take me back to my childhood days when mini cartons of milk were a staple in my diet.

Buy it here.

7. Alpro This Is Not Milk Whole

Rating: 9/10

This is it. The oat milk that launched me into the world of oat milk. While Alpro is not number one on my list of favourites, it will always hold a special place in my heart for being my first. In fact, I am sipping a glass of Alpro as I write this (for research purposes, obviously).

I love Alpro This Is Not Milk Whole primarily for its taste that blends seamlessly with literally any other drink, instantly elevating the flavour profiles. 

The milk itself is nutty with savoury notes, rich, creamy and oh-so-delicious. If you are dairy-free and are missing cereal as I’ve heard many of my lactose-free friends say, this is what you need to try. It works perfectly with cereal, in powdered drinks and even on its own. 

There is also absolutely no aftertaste (a feat it would seem in the world of oat milk).

Buy it here.

8. Oatside Barista Blend

Rating: 10/10

It gives me great pride to very honestly say that Oatside Barista Blend ranks at the top of my list purely on taste alone. While I do enjoy the chocolate hazelnut option, the original version is truly a winner.

Besides the extremely adorable branding, Oatside’s original blend packs a punch tastewise. It is nutty, malty, rich and the flavours are striking on the palate. 

Don't miss: Oatside Is Singapore’s First Homegrown Oat Milk—Here’s What You Need to Know

It has no aftertaste (as all good oat milk should) and the best part is that I’ve noticed that it has the ability to elevate most drinks. I find that my typical powdered drinks taste so much better with Oatside and I love the savoury and slightly salty profile it brings to the table. This Barista Blend by Oatside also means you can use it in coffees. 

I also love that in just a year, Oatside has been able to offer its milk in most major supermarkets (and even cafes) which makes it very accessible, something that I, unfortunately, can’t say about the rest of the other brands on my list (with the exception of Oatly).

Buy it here.

If you take a look at the ingredients list and you find Oats is just ~10%.

Even Cocoa has more and the rest is water! 

• Wahaha 1

20 minutes ago, The_King said:

when my new home ready, i will try to make homemade oat milk. thick version

Wah lao.....! We wait very long to see your new home leh!!

I think your To-Do list very long also! :umchio:

• Like 1

21 hours ago, The_King said:

:(

own home, many thing can do, staying with family member cannot

Dont worry lah!

I feel u will be happy once u move in to your own "man cave"! :good:

Many projects to fulfill !

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bigbird said:

Dont worry lah!

I feel u will be happy once u move in to your own "man cave"! :good:

Many projects to fulfill !

more like xiao lai staying. my home main door already reinforce until becum like crazy ppl staying

• Wahaha 2

• 2 weeks later...

Psyllium Husk

me take daily. help keep me full longer and easier to make me feel full, i add into my food when i having my meals, help with cholesterol, it also help to better control blood sugar (i guess it stick to all those food and turn it into sai and make it unable to enter body)

Also i dont poop that often, but when i poop, it thick and long. usually it will be unable to flush down, so it stay in the toilet bowl for around 24hr before it a little soft to force flush it (the sai is still soild) i also try to let it soak for 72hr, it still can maintain it sai shape, it like nothing change)

• Like 1
  • wtf 1

On 6/25/2022 at 10:11 PM, The_King said:

Psyllium Husk

me take daily. help keep me full longer and easier to make me feel full, i add into my food when i having my meals, help with cholesterol, it also help to better control blood sugar (i guess it stick to all those food and turn it into sai and make it unable to enter body)

Also i dont poop that often, but when i poop, it thick and long. usually it will be unable to flush down, so it stay in the toilet bowl for around 24hr before it a little soft to force flush it (the sai is still soild) i also try to let it soak for 72hr, it still can maintain it sai shape, it like nothing change)

You sounded more thrilled by the type of poop you produced or "launched"!   

72hrs!  OMG :o

The smell how!!!   Your family dont complaint ah???  :hehe:

• Wahaha 1

31 minutes ago, Bigbird said:

You sounded more thrilled by the type of poop you produced or "launched"!   

72hrs!  OMG :o

The smell how!!!   Your family dont complaint ah???  :hehe:

need for it soften before can flush, else no matter how much water i use it will not flush down. else i can use a stick or wait longere.

we got 2 toilet ma

• Wahaha 1

My Cholesterol Result.

Total Cholesterol:  5.91mmol or 228.54 mgdl

Triglycerides: 0.73mmol or 64.66mgdl

HDL Cholesterol: 1.75mmol or 67.67mgdl

LDL Cholesterol: 3.83mmol or 148.1mgdl

VLDL Cholesterol: 0.3302mmol or 12.77mgdl

g72481mmi005.jpg

• Like 1

9 hours ago, The_King said:

My Cholesterol Result.

Total Cholesterol:  5.91mmol or 228.54 mgdl

Triglycerides: 0.73mmol or 64.66mgdl

HDL Cholesterol: 1.75mmol or 67.67mgdl

LDL Cholesterol: 3.83mmol or 148.1mgdl

VLDL Cholesterol: 0.3302mmol or 12.77mgdl

g72481mmi005.jpg

GXGX!

Good Job!

The improvement attributed to .....?

2 minutes ago, Bigbird said:

GXGX!

Good Job!

The improvement attributed to .....?

1 yr ago, ldl and triglyverides is lower by 30 to 35% but i was on 2 pill, 1yr later (not on any pill for at least 11month to now)

so dont know if this is good or bad

26 minutes ago, The_King said:

1 yr ago, ldl and triglyverides is lower by 30 to 35% but i was on 2 pill, 1yr later (not on any pill for at least 11month to now)

so dont know if this is good or bad

Think positive bro!

Less chemicals is a good thing!  Good results is even better!

Congratulations! :good:

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/singapore/freshly-prepared-drinks-nutri-grade-nutrition-label-2023-sugar-fat-content-2873951

SINGAPORE: Food and beverage outlets will by end of 2023 be required to include nutrition labels on their menus indicating drinks that contain higher levels of sugar and saturated fat.

These include freshly brewed drinks from coffee shops, freshly squeezed juices and bubble tea.

"Our latest measures will require the outlets selling these drinks to label on their hard and softcopy menus beverages higher in sugar and saturated fat with the Nutri-Grade mark," said Health Minister Ong Ye Kung on Thursday (Aug 11).

Calling such drinks a “growing source of sugar in Singaporeans’ diets”, Mr Ong said the Health Ministry is working towards publishing these measures in the middle of next year and have them implemented by end-2023.

“Advertising prohibitions will also apply to these freshly prepared beverages with the highest level of sugar and saturated fat content,” said Mr Ong, who was speaking at the opening ceremony of the 19th International Society for Peritoneal Dialysis Congress.

He added that these measures aim “to help consumers make more informed, healthier choices, reduce the influence of advertising on consumer preferences and spur industry reformulation”.

“While we cannot avoid the sugar in juices and sugar cane drink, we can enjoy coffee, tea, Milo and bubble tea with less sugar content,” he said.

“I hope more Singaporeans will realise that less sugar will bring out the natural flavours of the drinks and we may well find them even more enjoyable ... More importantly, it keeps us healthy, and staves off a very scary disease in diabetes.”

In December, MOH announced that pre-packaged drinks such as soft drinks, juice and milk will be required to carry the new Nutri-Grade labels by the end of 2022.

The four-level grading system is based on the sugar and saturated fat content in beverages. It will be colour-coded – A (dark green), B (light green), C (orange) and D (red), with A being the category with the lowest sugar and fat thresholds.

Drinks that are graded C or D must have their labels on the front of the package, MOH said. If sold online, or from a vending machine or a buyer-facing automated beverage dispenser, the image of the Nutri-Grade mark must be displayed according to the regulations.

Advertisements are also prohibited for grade D drinks in most cases.

Mr Ong said on Thursday that the measures for pre-packaged drinks have “brought about a very positive response from the demand and supply sides of the industry” since they were announced.

For example, producers have “significantly reformulated their beverages” ahead of the effective date of the measures for pre-packaged drinks.

“Preliminary data shows that the median sugar level of pre-packed beverages has been reduced from 7.1 per cent in 2017 to 4.7 per cent in 2021,” he said.

Sales of pre-packaged drinks graded C or D have also fallen from 63 per cent in 2017 to 40 per cent in 2021. Sales of drinks with less than 5 per cent sugar content have increased from 37 per cent to 60 per cent over the same period.

“These shifts are as significant as those recorded in the UK, which has implemented a sugar tax, and much more stringent regulation of the market,” he said.

“It shows that, in our market, by providing the right information in the right way, our industry and consumers are sophisticated and health-conscious enough to respond positively, and that is encouraging.

"Encouraged by these developments, MOH and HPB (Health Promotion Board) will step up our efforts to reduce sugar intake from freshly prepared beverages."

• Like 1