Malaysia defends easing of coronavirus curbs as new infections jump

The_King

KUALA LUMPUR (Reuters) - Malaysian authorities on Saturday defended plans to ease coronavirus lockdown measures next week even as the number of new infections jumped to a two-week high.

Most businesses will reopen on Monday after a six-week shutdown ordered to fight the COVID-19 outbreak, though schools, cinemas and nightclubs will remain closed, along with the country's borders, and mass gatherings will still be banned.

The decision to allow businesses to resume trading has sparked criticism including from members of the ruling coalition that restrictions were being eased too soon.

The number of new infections with the novel coronavirus as reported by the health ministry rose by 105 on Saturday, the highest daily increase since April 16. The number of known infections totalled 6,176 and fatalities stood at 103.

Security minister Ismail Sabri said Malaysia was not being hasty in relaxing the curbs, stressing that businesses reopening will have to implement hygiene and social distancing measures.

Former Prime Minister Najib Razak, whose UMNO party is part of the ruling coalition, said the easing was "huge and sudden" and there was no rush to reopen the economy, local media reported.

A Change.org petition to stop the measures from being partially lifted had garnered over 250,000 signatures on Saturday.

Announcing the easing of curbs on Friday, Prime Minister Muhyiddin Yassin said the government had lost 63 billion ringgit ($14.7 billion) from the restrictions imposed since March 18.

The economy could shrink more than initially forecast due to the curbs, the finance minister said on Saturday. Malaysia's central bank had in April forecast a change in gross domestic product (GDP) of between -2% and 0.5% this year.

"But that forecast was made after just two weeks of movement curbs. We're now more than five weeks in ... so our GDP could shrink even more," Finance Minister Tengku Zafrul Tengku Abdul Aziz said in an interview with a local television channel.

Malaysia, which has announced a stimulus package worth 250 billion ringgit to help cushion the economic blow from the outbreak, will also announce an economic recovery plan later this month, the minister said.

($1 = 4.2930 ringgit)

https://sg.yahoo.com/news/malaysia-reports-105-coronavirus-cases-090440594.html

• Wahaha 1

bolehsia is having the same issue like pappyland.

but what really makes my blood boils is that people on both sides of the causeway r scapegoating the migrant workers.

when u need them for 3d work, u pay them pittance and when this outbreak is thru no fault of theirs, the 'self-riteous' start blaming them for starting the outbreak becos of their unsanitary living conditions.

https://www.scmp.com/week-asia/politics/article/3081958/malaysia-battles-coronavirus-its-rohingya-refugees-face-torrent

• Like 3

11 hours ago, socrates469bc said:

bolehsia is having the same issue like pappyland.

but what really makes my blood boils is that people on both sides of the causeway r scapegoating the migrant workers.

when u need them for 3d work, u pay them pittance and when this outbreak is thru no fault of theirs, the 'self-riteous' start blaming them for starting the outbreak becos of their unsanitary living conditions.

https://www.scmp.com/week-asia/politics/article/3081958/malaysia-battles-coronavirus-its-rohingya-refugees-face-torrent

Its true that the dorm is too packed and unsanitary cuz i visited a few prior to the pandemic.

But the sanitary issue is still partly due to the people staying there.

I would generally say, they rooms i visited were big enough to accomodate 8 - 10pax comfortably though without privacy.

But we were told room that size are to accomodate 16pax.

16pax would have to share 1 small toilet , 1 shower and 1  tiny kitchen. 

So this need to change.

If u wan a bigger space for cooking, there is a large communal kitchen to use.

Same building different floor, we saw some room that were extremely clean. Clean toilet (My pet peeve), kitchen and shower room.

While some room were disgustingly foul with odor.

All these room were occupied but with drastic differences.

So i guess partly due to ppl staying there.

Even if u give them the best standard of  maybe 4-6pax per room, if the peopl staying there do not take care of the room, it will still turn into a bio-hazard waste land.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, sketchish said:

Its true that the dorm is too packed and unsanitary cuz i visited a few prior to the pandemic.

But the sanitary issue is still partly due to the people staying there.

I would generally say, they rooms i visited were big enough to accomodate 8 - 10pax comfortably though without privacy.

But we were told room that size are to accomodate 16pax.

16pax would have to share 1 small toilet , 1 shower and 1  tiny kitchen. 

So this need to change.

If u wan a bigger space for cooking, there is a large communal kitchen to use.

Same building different floor, we saw some room that were extremely clean. Clean toilet (My pet peeve), kitchen and shower room.

While some room were disgustingly foul with odor.

All these room were occupied but with drastic differences.

So i guess partly due to ppl staying there.

Even if u give them the best standard of  maybe 4-6pax per room, if the peopl staying there do not take care of the room, it will still turn into a bio-hazard waste land.

u must not forget that these dorms r operate-for-profit.

so of cos to maximize the profit, pack as many as possible.

and now, this brings in another question.

mom is supposed to be regulating and monitoring these dorm operators, but why is the ministry sleeping on the job for the past 5yrs?

parliament shld have a grilling on this issue.

this scmp article gave a pretty good overall overall story of these dorms operators and the supposed govt monitoring mechanism/regulations.

https://www.scmp.com/week-asia/health-environment/article/3082453/coronavirus-after-little-india-riot-singapore-promised

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, socrates469bc said:

u must not forget that these dorms r operate-for-profit.

so of cos to maximize the profit, pack as many as possible.

and now, this brings in another question.

mom is supposed to be regulating and monitoring these dorm operators, but why is the ministry sleeping on the job for the past 5yrs?

parliament shld have a grilling on this issue.

this scmp article gave a pretty good overall overall story of these dorms operators and the supposed govt monitoring mechanism/regulations.

https://www.scmp.com/week-asia/health-environment/article/3082453/coronavirus-after-little-india-riot-singapore-promised

My guess is out of sight, out of mind. no public viewed the dorm prior the pandemic, no one know alot of the condition in these dorms.

I actually typed out a query email after my visits to the dorm, but big boss told me not to get engaged and stir sh!t.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sketchish said:

My guess is out of sight, out of mind. no public viewed the dorm prior the pandemic, no one know alot of the condition in these dorms.

I actually typed out a query email after my visits to the dorm, but big boss told me not to get engaged and stir sh!t.

yeah, the society was adopting a out of sight, out of mind mentality.

so even if u wrote an email to mom, most likely u will get the standard reference number and a standard reply that they will look into the matter with a result in 6mths.

by end of 6mth, most will most likely forget or even if u chased for an answer, they will give u standard reply that they r still looking into the matter.

thats why i m glad that there r volunteer organisations like twc2 which tried to be our social conscious.

46 minutes ago, socrates469bc said:

yeah, the society was adopting a out of sight, out of mind mentality.

so even if u wrote an email to mom, most likely u will get the standard reference number and a standard reply that they will look into the matter with a result in 6mths.

by end of 6mth, most will most likely forget or even if u chased for an answer, they will give u standard reply that they r still looking into the matter.

thats why i m glad that there r volunteer organisations like twc2 which tried to be our social conscious.

No point one if no pandemic u think sinkies will care? 

Larry David Hbo GIF by Curb Your Enthusiasm

• Like 2
  • Wahaha 1

beastgohan-gohanbeast.gif

28 minutes ago, aaur4man said:

No point one if no pandemic u think sinkies will care? 

Larry David Hbo GIF by Curb Your Enthusiasm

sinkies only interested in their satki slumkang condo psf $

in their dreamland, the condos build themselves. foreign workers never play a part.

Edited by meng.huat
  • Like 2
  • Wahaha 1

btw, why are sinkies so interested in the smelly foreign workers welfare now?

because they contribute to a large portion of Sinkieland's infected numbers.

sinkies wish the workers quickly recover and infected numbers quickly come down...

so the govt can lift the CB and reopen the condo showrooms...

sinkies can go back showrooms and act satki again!

Edited by meng.huat
  • Like 4

14 hours ago, The_King said:

Former Prime Minister Najib Razak, whose UMNO party is part of the ruling coalition, said the easing was "huge and sudden" and there was no rush to reopen the economy, local media reported.

hahaha... he wished the MCO will never be eased... so his court hearing will be delayed...

• Wahaha 4

Jib Kor sian diao...

:lol:

Najib's 1MDB trial to resume next week as Malaysia eases coronavirus lockdown

KUALA LUMPUR (BLOOMBERG) - The trial of Malaysia's former leader Najib Razak for his alleged role in the 1Malaysia Development Berhad (1MDB) scandal will resume next week as the country relaxes its lockdown.

All relevant parties including Najib have been told to attend court on May 13, said Deputy Public Prosecutor Ahmad Akram Gharib.

The country allowed nearly all sectors of the economy to reopen starting Monday (May 4) after nearly seven weeks of restricted movement, even as many states deferred the move as they need further review.

The trial is set to resume with Najib's lawyer questioning witnesses, after the proceeding was adjourned on March 12 due to concern that his defence team may have been exposed to the new coronavirus.

Najib is facing five trials, the first of which - involving seven charges linked to US$10 million (S$14.2 million) misappropriated from a 1MDB unit - is expected to reach a verdict within months.

yq-najibr-04052021.jpg?itok=SBR9jJBr&tim

https://www.straitstimes.com/asia/se-asia/najibs-1mdb-trial-to-resume-next-week-as-malaysia-eases-coronavirus-lockdown

• Wahaha 3

4 hours ago, meng.huat said:

Jib Kor sian diao...

:lol:

Najib's 1MDB trial to resume next week as Malaysia eases coronavirus lockdown

KUALA LUMPUR (BLOOMBERG) - The trial of Malaysia's former leader Najib Razak for his alleged role in the 1Malaysia Development Berhad (1MDB) scandal will resume next week as the country relaxes its lockdown.

All relevant parties including Najib have been told to attend court on May 13, said Deputy Public Prosecutor Ahmad Akram Gharib.

The country allowed nearly all sectors of the economy to reopen starting Monday (May 4) after nearly seven weeks of restricted movement, even as many states deferred the move as they need further review.

The trial is set to resume with Najib's lawyer questioning witnesses, after the proceeding was adjourned on March 12 due to concern that his defence team may have been exposed to the new coronavirus.

Najib is facing five trials, the first of which - involving seven charges linked to US$10 million (S$14.2 million) misappropriated from a 1MDB unit - is expected to reach a verdict within months.

yq-najibr-04052021.jpg?itok=SBR9jJBr&tim

https://www.straitstimes.com/asia/se-asia/najibs-1mdb-trial-to-resume-next-week-as-malaysia-eases-coronavirus-lockdown

Tot he and Din ish fren fren? Wun hab issue la

4 hours ago, aaur4man said:

I tot now is his butties

36 minutes ago, meng.huat said:

i guess they will wayang wayang... give him a wayang sentence to pacify the people...

and the best part is jib kor gonna drag out the judiciary process into an indon sinetron.

just these 7 charges alone can take up to 7 yrs from start to finish and with more charges to be filed since ah din or any succeeding pm needs to placate the bolehsian public, expect jib kor to repeat this legal tactic.

the judiciary system will take at least 20 yrs to clear all 1mdb-related charges.

high chance jib kor may pass away from sudden heart attack without spending a single day in jail even b4 the judiciary process is done with him

Edited by socrates469bc
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, socrates469bc said:

the judiciary system will take at least 20 yrs to clear all 1mdb-related charges.

high chance jib kor may pass away from sudden heart attack without spending a single day in jail even b4 the judiciary process is done with him

yeah... hippo can afford the long game with her stash.

• angry 1

Give them Shangrila and in one week it becomes unlivable.

Its in their DNA.

I always wondered by even places like Muthu's, Apollo, all barefully can maintain some sense of cleanliness.

But having said that

I recall in the army days, the barracks also look like shiats until standby bed

then all the dirty uniforms go under the mattress

• Wahaha 2