"Made of Metal" News \m/

metalrover

DANK SLAMS: Old-School Death Metallers BLOODSOAKED Enter The Slam Game With Disgorging The Wretched

Slam. The skank. The dank. The skanky danky dank. Call it whatever you want. All we do is report it. Anyway, this shit has truly become legend. So much so, that those outside the realm of slam are getting in on the coprophagic action (for those with the IQ of the Cheeto-dust clustered in the mouldy, fetid folds of their scrotum, 'coprophagic' means 'shit-eating'). As an example of this, Raleigh, North Carolina one-man death metal legend, Peter Hasselbrack, of the decidedly old-school sounding Bloodsoaked, has entered the piss and vomit-soaked ring of slam with the forthcoming album, Disgorging The Wretched.

bloodsoaked-Disgorging.thumb.jpg.f5a9a3d8809c57538d6b17d2c096e006.jpg

For those with their pulse on the world of brutal, old-school death metal, you'll likely be well familiar with Peter and Bloodsoaked. The dude is incredibly talented. He lives and breathes death metal – with a passion and gusto unparalleled. One only has to look at Bloodsoaked's formidable catalogue over the last thirteen years, which includes five studio releases (comprised of three full-length albums and two EPs). Each and every release is chock-full of high-calibre death metal riffing on par with the biggest boys in the league.

Now, Peter has entered the realm of the big boys of slam. Check out the latest single, "Adorned In Demise" for a taste of what to expect on Disgorging The Wretched…

So, as you just heard, it shouldn't come as any surprise that Disgorging The Wretched is easily going to be one of the most brutal slam offerings since Analepy's brilliant Atrocities From Beyond. In fact, I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that Peter's take on slam ups the ante – delivering one of the best productions ever heard on a slam album while never compromising the brutality contained within.

Anyway, we at the old skanky dank were lucky enough to score some time with Peter to pick his brain on Disgorging The Wretched and all things slam…

On the storied career of Bloodsoaked…

I started Bloodsoaked back in 2006. Prior to this, I played in a thrash band (Deslok) back in the late 80s in Boston where I grew up. I always wanted to play in a death metal band, so I decided to start my own. All of my previous five albums have been straight forward death metal and gained a solid fan base playing all over the world. For the most part, I was a one-man band, like Putrid Pile and Insidious Discrepancy. I've added a couple of other guitarists here and there over the years and currently have David Sanchez on second guitar and vocals.

On the appeal of slam…

Slam just has a different feel to it. Lots of death metal bands have had that slam or mosh-pit riff in a particular song. Even old-school thrash bands have a riff that gets the crowd moshing and heads banging. So, with slam, I feel it’s about taking that single riff feeling to the whole song or album. The appeal I think is to get the crowd or listener to mosh or headbang to the whole album and not just a few riffs. Slam just has a different vibe to it overall.

On the originators of slam…

A lot of people cite Internal Bleeding from New York as the originators. You can also say a lot of the hardcore bands have originating factors as well. The heavy/fat/slow/chugging riffs where if you added the vocal style of slam could be called slam. Going back to the differences, the vocal style is a huge, and maybe the biggest difference, between slam and death metal. The ultra-guttural, pig squeals and so forth. That style has been gaining more and more popularity and it's a departure from straight-up death metal.

On the reasons behind creating a slam-inspired Bloodsoaked album…

I've been getting more and more into the slam style over the past few years and really giving it a chance. I've grown to love it and wanted to challenge myself to write an album's worth of slam. I've written slam-y riffs and sections of songs before but never a true slam song. I wanted to see if I had it in me.

On the challenges of writing slam…

The song and riff writing has been completely different as was the drum programming. The drums are a big part of slam so I had to relearn how to write drum parts and re-think how I write guitar riffs. Also, the guitar tuning is very different. My first four albums are in D Standard, the fifth album in C#, and now with Disgorging The Wretched I'm tuned to Drop B. It's so very different as far as tuning and playing and writing. I also can't do the ultra-low or pig squeal vocals so I have a local Raleigh, NC area guy (Zach Senicola) on vocals for the slam. His vocals are insane and a perfect fit for the album. I couldn't be happier.

On influences…

Analepsy has been the biggest influence when writing the album. Their albums are so sick and catchy from start to finish. I also love Pathology and Abominable Putridity. They have some awesome albums that influenced my songwriting. Overall, once I started listening to AnalepsyI knew I wanted to write music like that.

On whether or not we'll see more slam from Bloodsoaked…

More than likely Disgorging The Wretched will be my only slam album. I really like the direction the album is taking but straight-forward death metal is what Bloodsoaked is all about. Pure death metal, nothing more, nothing less.

Edited by metalrover

Track Premiere: Avslut “Underjordens Apostlar”

avslut_blackmetal_decibel_2019-1170x658.thumb.jpg.8c93af0d2f53361e873ea767bb3f2891.jpg

Avslut are Swedish. True Swedish black metal. And their world is no fun. This statement, provided to Decibel via one of Avslut’s most trusted couriers, says: “The second single from the long-awaited album Tyrannifrom Avslut is called ‘Underjordens Apostlar.’ This track embodies a misanthropic nature, is a true testament of hate towards mankind and exploring the urge to wage war on humanity itself. Explosive, aggressive and truly malevolent.” Clearly the Swedes aren’t fucking around on “Underjordens Apostlar,” the track we’re premiering with slightly hesitant feels. In fact, the last time Decibel and Avslut crossed paths (HERE), we had the same anxiety towards our tenuous relationship with Sweden’s ugliest, meanest, and most violent black metal export.

For a band that dawned (or, formed on the wave of night’s malice) in 2016, the Swedes have ventured far. The group’s debut, Deceptis, earned high marks for carrying the torch of true Swedish black metal. That is to say, from the cusp of darkness and in the tradition of Dark Funeral, Setherial, Dissection, Necrophobic, and, of course, Marduk, the Swedes’ aggressive yet morosely melodic black is weaponized for the oncoming assault of the faithful. There is no other outcome but resounding victory, and “Underjordens Apostlar” will serve as the song of the victorious, mercilessly blasting the Heavens as eviscerated and disfigured angels fall from on high.

The divine countenance shows tremendous loss on this late October Monday. Let Avslut continue to lead the way! Here’s the horns of Hell in Avslut’s “Underjordens Apostlar”!

** Avslut’s new album, Tyranni, is out November 29th on Osmose Productions. Pre-orders for CDs, LPs, and t-shirts HERE. Don’t delay ’cause Avslut have no mercy for tardy semi-believers in this world.

Sauce : decibelmagazine.com

Edited by metalrover

• 3 weeks later...

Casket Huffer – “Filth Ouroboros”

Rawcoverfologo-0-1170x1170.thumb.jpg.cace5cb75668a809099d4e55512790de.jpg

Most people who want to get high do the “reasonable” thing and huff the fumes from household cleaning supplies. Casket Huffer aren’t most people, though. They’re three sick horror freaks from the midwest and they huff caskets. Perhaps that’s why the trio of musicians sounds so evil on Filth Ouroboros.

At their core, Casket Huffer are a black/death metal band, ripping through eight songs without pause. Digging past that black/death core, Filth Ouroboros exposes a crawling, sludgy core present on tracks like “Genocide Thralls” and the album’s title track. The slower pacing of these songs creates a sinister, almost ritualistic, atmosphere that is amplified by the faster pacing throughout the majority of the album.

Filth Ouroboros is a filthy, dark album. There is no detour into mellower territory and no break from the tremolo-picked bursts, layers of sludge and gross vocals that define Casket Huffer’s sound. Just unadulterated, ugly death like only three guys in black sunglasses can produce.

Hibernation Release releases Filth Ouroboros tomorrow, but you can stream the whole thing via Decibel right now.

Halestorm’s Lzzy Hale Plays Her Favorite Metal Riffs

How does one craft a riff or a lead? The process may be different depending on which musician to talk to, but during this edition of Loudwire's Gear Factor, Halestorm's Lzzy Hale reveals to the Music Experience's Squiggy that her vocals play a key role in how her guitar parts sound.

In the midst of a discussion on her favorite riffs, Hale brought up "I Miss the Misery" and how it was a key turning point for her creatively. "What I love about ‘I Miss the Misery’ is that we decided to do just kind of a melodic riff on top of that that just went with my vocals. This was when I was discovering that I could sing and play at the same time. You learn you can harmonize with yourself and there was a lightbulb that happened in my mind," says Hale.

She went on to add, "What I need to do is chase what gets me excited instead of trying to chase something that makes everybody think that I’m this or I’m that. I’m not going to be Yngwie Malmsteen, but what I can be is me," says the singer guitarist, who revealed, "Even when I’m doing leads, it’s based on things that I can sing. So when I’m writing riffs and I’m writing leads, it’s coming from this vocalist standpoint ... I’ve always been a much more natural singer than I am a guitar player, so instead of thinking of that as my handicap, I think of it as my secret weapon.”

In this episode, Hale also speaks of her musical upbringing, calling herself "an abnormal kid" who was getting into Alice Cooper, Black Sabbath and Dio while her friends were into TLC and Backstreet Boys. She credits her parents for starting her on hard rock and metal early, with her dad teaching her to play Sabbath's "Heaven and Hell," which she can still handle quite well.

But her mother didn't want Lzzy to think rock was just for boys only, so a healthy supply of Joan Jett, Heart and Pat Benatar followed. “So then you’re like, ‘Oh my god, I can do both of these things.’ And then from there, this is how I operated, I was writing my own songs and I just started showing my dad riffs that I had made, so what I started doing was that I started having these small show and tells for family. Like, check this out."

Hale reveals one of the first riff she ever wrote as a teenager turned into "It's Not You," and gave her the confidence to continue on at a young age. "When I started doing that as a teenager, I was like, ‘Well shit, when is the soonest I can start doing this out with my band?’"

Watch more of Lzzy Hale's Gear Factor episode below. Halestorm are continuing support of their Vicious album. Check out their tour dates here.

Sauce https://loudwire.com

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Track Premiere: Wormhole – ‘The Weakest Among Us’

a0249994294_10-1170x1170.thumb.jpg.68628e8b30dad259eceb77cb92ee867a.jpg

There’s nothing like starting the week with a little technical death metal, right? Baltimore-based quartet Wormhole come to the table with “The Weakest Among Us,” the title track to their forthcoming second album. Wormhole—who feature members of Cognitive, Equipoise and others—combine riff-driven tech death with plenty of slams and brutality in a way that’s straightforward but effective.

On the title track, Wormhole blast off at light speed with blast beats, dissonant riffs and deep gutturals, plus a slam or two, before making a quick detour with a melodic solo that quickly gives way to the most brutal part of “The Weakest Among Us.”

Decibel spoke with guitarist Sanil Kumar to answer a few questions about The Weakest Among Us and Wormhole’s future plans. Take a listen to the new song and read the interview below. The Weakest Among Us is out in January 2020 via Lacerated Enemy.

What’s changed in the band in the four years since you released Genesis?
Since releasing Genesis, Wormhole has become an active touring band with a new lineup. This time around we came in with a real vision for the sound ahead of time, and make something new and unique

Tell us about the song premiering today. What’s it about?
The new song today is the title track from our new record, The Weakest Among Us, dropping in January. The purpose of the song is to be really tech but also very slam.

Your new album, The Weakest Among Us, is out in January. Sonically, how do you think it compares to your previous album?
Having live drums on the new record is the most obvious thing. Aside from the big improvements in production, the new album features a lot more melody, a lot of big release, more of everything. It is more tech and it is more slam.

Are there plans for Wormhole after the album comes out? Touring, recording again or something else?
All of it. After the album releases it is on to the next one for us. More writing, more recording, and more touring for Wormhole in 2020.

Blast Worship: Snitchgrinder

0013924197_10-1170x878.thumb.jpg.0211c0277adc291a4b3aba6670525b08.jpg

Where they from?
New York, New York. I moved to Brooklyn back in September and besides being immediately asked to be on a dating podcast, I have noticed that Brooklyn, despite the efforts of gentrification, does have a rather robust up-and-coming metal scene, which occasionally can produce some really cool shows. I still wished they moshed as hard here as they do in Philly or on the west coast or literally anywhere else to be quite honest, but I’ll consider that a work-in-progress for the time being. They definitely went off when I saw Jesus Piece here in August, but I felt like most of those people were from New Jersey, or at least they smelled like it.

What do they sound like?
Northern Cali crust grind with that sweet east coast hipster shine.

Why the hype?
Last week I decided to go to a local grind show in Brooklyn at the last minute to support my boys in Ixias. I saw that the opening band was called Snitchgrinder and very much assumed they would be terrible, but it turns out, I was wrong! Not only that but I did not realize their guitarist is none other than Sam Hernandez, guitarist for the now defunct (and Blast Worship favorite) Your Enemy! Apparently last year Sam moved from her native Oakland to Brooklyn and started Snitchgrinder. This was my first time seeing Sam’s guitar playing live and all I can say is “HOLY SHIT, THAT TONE.” One of the most brutal guitar tones I have ever witnessed in person, absolutely crushing, as all of the hatred in the city of Oakland was summed up into one amp. And, no, THERE WAS NOT AN HM-2 PEDAL IN SIGHT!

Latest Release?
Split with Time of Chaos released back in June of this year. This record is a nice evolution from Sam’s previous work with Your Enemy: The main element is still crust west coast grind but the music is allowed to breath a little bit more and it makes for some seriously memorable moments such as the caveman stomp in “Erasure of Being.” I also really think the Snitchy crew do the dual vocal approach really well with drummer Calder providing the menacing lows and Sam producing some seriously harsh highs. My favorite track is easily “Slaughter Exhibitionist” with its stop/start intro and eventual descent into yet another caveman groove. Really excited to finally have such an excellent grindcore unit which Brooklyn can now claim as it’s own. Now, START MOSHING!

• 2 weeks later...

Family Performs Death Metal Cover of SMASH MOUTH's "All Star" On Nickelodeon

Nickelodeon has a show called America’s Most Musical Family and it recently featured a group dubbed "The Harris 3." The trio consists of Ashton (14) on drums, Trent (11) on vocals and their dad Jason Harris.

They decided to perform a familiar tune with a twist, covering Smash Mouth's "All Star" in a death metal style. If you dig what you hear, follow the band on Facebook or their official website.

Source : metalinjection.net

• Wahaha 1

Airline Forces Woman Wearing "Hail Satan" Shirt To Either Change or Get Off The Plane

IMG_20191216_161356.thumb.jpg.d9b48d3389b1a2112dde60c9e7249bb6.jpg

Satanism is an officially recognized religion in the United States, but it was too far for one American Airlines crew, who forced a passenger to change her shirt if she wanted to remain on the flight.

Buzzfeed News reports 49-year-old Swati Runi Goyal was on a flight from Florida to Nevada on October 30th. A crew member asked her to follow him to the front of the plane. She assumed she was getting upgraded to first class, but in actually she was told she had to either change her shirt or get kicked off.

Goyal was wearing a "Hail Satan" shirt. Buzzfeed points out that Goyal is not a Satan worshipper, but she is in fact a member of the Satanic Temple, which is a atheist organization that is about separation of church and state (and not worshipping Satan).

"It’s an ironic shirt," Goyal told BuzzFeed News. "People usually laugh at it, or they give me a thumbs up because they understand the meaning behind it." Goyal later said that the crew did not find her shirt amusing. "He said, ‘Our crew has found your shirt to be offensive,’" said Goyal. "We initially just thought it was a joke. But he repeated the directive, and there was another female crew member who was behind him with her arms crossed looking very angry."

Goyal and her husband refused to get off the plane.

"The man said, ‘Your shirt is offensive. Do you know what that means?’" Goyal said. "I said, ‘I’m a foreign-born minority woman, I understand ‘offensive,’ and this shirt is not offensive.’"

The crew delayed takeoff until the woman would either take off the shirt or deplane. Eventually, her husband lent her one of his layers and the crew allowed them to remain on the flight. She noted the crew avoided eye contact with her for the rest of the flight and did not even serve her a drink when the cart came around.

At this point the article gets a little odd for me, because she sort of throws metalheads under the bus saying "I’m just an ordinary-looking person," she said. "I’m not goth. I don’t have piercings. I wasn’t wearing a shirt that had a goat being beheaded on it. [I was] wearing L.L.Bean hiking pants and vegan sneakers," she added. "I mean, I couldn’t look like more of a nerd."

But so what if you did, Goyal? We've all worn a metal shirt on a plane before.

Anyway, Goyal emailed American Airlines to complain and they did not initially apologize saying they "have policies in place to ensure that no passengers are subjected to objectionable situations while on board." It was only once Goyal tweeted publicly about the situation that American Airlines apologized. "Discrimination has no place at American Airlines," the company replied on Twitter, adding that it would investigate further and then reach back out to her.

Goyal told Buzzfeed Newsthat she was eventually offered a refund on both tickets and told that an investigation was ongoing.

Source : metalinjection.net

• angry 1