Driver stops out of control taxi on PIE by letting it ram into his own car

Huat Zai

image_26.jpg

Education consultant Chalmers Chin was driving to work at about 8.30 am along the Pan-Island Expressway in Bukit Timah on Tuesday (Oct 1) when he saw a ComfortDelGro taxi moving erratically in front of him.

The taxi was weaving in and out of the middle lane, its hazard lights were blinking and a female passenger in the front seat was reaching over to the driver's side, trying to steer the vehicle. Another woman passenger sitting behind had partially opened the rear door and was waving for help.

The traffic was heavy, but Mr Chin, 31, did not hesitate. "I sensed something was wrong," he said. Driving along the right lane, he overtook the taxi, which was travelling slowly, and then cut in front of it to place his own car in its path.

The taxi then rammed into the rear of his car - as he knew it would - and the passenger in front managed to steer it to the road shoulder as it came to a halt. Mr Chin said that was the only way to stop the out-of-control vehicle.

Mr Chin rushed to the taxi and found it had four passengers - two women and two children.

The cabby had fallen unconscious at the wheel and The Straits Times understands he may have suffered a heart attack.

Mr Chin, along with a few paramedics who happened to be attending to another accident nearby, and another driver helped to pull the cabby out of the taxi.

Police said the taxi was on the PIE travelling towards Changi Airport.

The taxi driver, a 60-year-old man, was unconscious when he was taken to Tan Tock Seng Hospital, where he subsequently died.

yq-st1-02102022.jpg Chalmers Chin said his decision to let his own car get rammed to stop the taxi was driven partly by thoughts of his five-month-old son. PHOTOS: CHALMERS MICHAEL

While Mr Chin's quick thinking may have saved the four passengers from a more serious accident, he was saddened by the cabby's death.

"It's unfortunate that he didn't make it," said Mr Chin. And of his decision to let his own car get rammed to stop the taxi, he said: "I calmed my nerves and did what I needed to do."

He said he was driven to do this partly because he has a five-month-old son.

"I was thinking of my child when I stepped up. When I saw that the woman was with two children, I could only imagine the stress she was going through," he said.

Mr Chin, whose Volkswagen Golf GTI has a hairline scratch on the bumper from the accident, said he had not worried about the potential damage to his vehicle when he acted.

"My aim was to get the car to stop. I did what I could to help," he said. "And I will do it again in a heartbeat," he said.

https://www.asiaone.com/singapore/driver-stops-out-control-taxi-pie-letting-it-ram-his-own-car

Official Mugentech Minecraft server: Please see thread in Gamers

Taxi driver's health is usually compromised in order to earn more money.

Some chiong to earn more money while not drinking enough water(kidney problem) and not enough rest during shift.

Govt will not care as taxi driver is consider as self employed.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Huat Zai said:

Mr Chin, along with a few paramedics who happened to be attending to another accident nearby, and another driver helped to pull the cabby out of the taxi.

Sad right? so many accidents during the same period. moreover i feel that more health checks needed for taxi drivers above 60 yrs old. for their own safety and safety of the passengers. 

• Like 1