[NSFW] The Singapore Occultists Thread

Huat Zai

John Dee's scrying mirror has Aztec origins, analysis finds

dee-mirror-smaller.jpg?fit=1&resize=620,

John Dee was a 16th-century astrologer and science advisor to Queen Elizabeth I, but as he got older he became increasingly obsessed with magic. He frequently claimed to contact otherwordly spirits using this black obsidian scrying mirror, currently held by the British Museum.

Circular obsidian mirrors were well-known in Aztec culture and engineering, were used in many spiritual rituals there. Since Europe was awash in artifacts that colonialists had brought back from overseas, historians had long suspected that Dee's scrying-stone was Aztec in origin. But they weren't certain.

Until now. An xray-fluorescence analysis by a team of scientists matched the obsidian in Dee's mirror to obsidian sampled from former Aztec cities, and it looks like Dee's mirror came from Pachua in Mexico.

The team wrote up their findings, and the paper is a fascinating and readable dive into the cultural stew of early colonial voyages. As they write…

When John Dee acquired his mirror, he obtained an unfamiliar and stimulating object, redolent of new and exotic knowledge, which would have been even more unique in an English than in a continental context (Yaya 2008). Given Dee's interest in the New World, he may have been aware of the significance of obsidian, and the omniscience of Tezcatlipoca's mirrors would have had an obvious attraction. Indeed, this may have been a primary reason for its acquisition. He also, however, lived in an era in which the use of mirrors for magical purposes in Europe—particularly black mirrors (Maillet 2004)—meant that the context was receptive to the use of a mirror of exotic origin (Forshaw 2015).

https://boingboing.net/2021/10/12/john-dees-scrying-mirror-has-aztec-origins-analysis-finds.html

• Like 1

Official Mugentech Minecraft server: Please see thread in Gamers

28 minutes ago, chamfer said:

Pretty good video, I'm shifting more and more to non-physical offerings, energy exchanges through mantra, prayers, and/or meditations appears to be more effective.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Huat Zai said:

Pretty good video, I'm shifting more and more to non-physical offerings, energy exchanges through mantra, prayers, and/or meditations appears to be more effective.

Interesting perspective. I'm still on physical offerings.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, chamfer said:

This topic confused me for quite some time until recently another video cleared my mind. 

She did a good job in explaining it.

Actually, I don't really agree with her understanding of Chaos Magic.

The system was created because some of the founders can't stand all the cosplay in ceremonial magic. They wanted to cut the bullshit and just do magic that work. At the heart of chaos magic is deconstructionism, it's a pure technique magical system that separates belief and magic.  Nothing is True, Everything is Permitted.

2 minutes ago, Huat Zai said:

Actually, I don't really agree with her understanding of Chaos Magic.

The system was created because some of the founders can't stand all the cosplay in ceremonial magic. They wanted to cut the bullshit and just do magic that work. At the heart of chaos magic is deconstructionism, it's a pure technique magical system that separates belief and magic.  Nothing is True, Everything is Permitted.

This video cleared my mind.  A better video than the previous video i posted?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, chamfer said:

Can see the above link?

Mr.Mythos channel.

Video title : Demonology explained in obsessive detail.

I went to google for it, and honestly.. I only made it halfway through the video...

The youtuber's research is chaotic and bias, and he does not quote reliable sources. 

Esoterica does a much better job (it IS he's day job after all), and he already had a number of videos on the subject if you're interested

At less part of the information quoted from the book matches what I've experienced, though the book was still written from a bias perspective.

• Like 1