Geylang Serai Ramadan bazaar stallholders complain about steep rents, competition

The_King

SINGAPORE – Almost two weeks after the Geylang Serai Ramadan bazaar restarted in full force for the first time since 2019, a litany of complaints from stallholders worried about high rents, low visitorship and steep competition has emerged.

Rents have skyrocketed to $24,000 for some kebab stalls, while other stall owners have tussled with the organisers, with one making a police report after the cable providing electricity for the stall was cut.

Mr Mohamad Haikel Suhaimi, 35, runs Ramly burger stall Original Taste From Malaysia in a tent behind Tanjong Katong Complex. While he paid $16,000 to rent one stall, another Ramly burger seller in the tent paid $20,000 each for four stalls.

“For the past four days, (the organisers) have been coming to the shop to tell us to change the signage (to not show Ramly burgers) and they even threatened to close my shop by bringing down the management from Wisma Geylang Serai with two security guards,” said Mr Haikel, speaking to The Straits Times on the first day of Ramadan last Thursday.

Wisma Geylang Serai is the social and cultural heritage hub in Geylang Serai, led by the People’s Association. The bazaar is managed and operated by a consortium made up of S-Lite Event Support, TLK Trade Fair and Events and Enniche Global Trading.

“My agreement didn’t state that I cannot sell Ramly burgers so I’ve just continued to sell,” he added. In the signed agreement between the stall and the organisers seen by ST, there is no clause stating what kind of food vendors are supposed to sell.

His girlfriend, who runs the stall with him, made a police report after they lost power in the stall and realised that the cable had been severed on March 19. After alerting the Wisma Geylang Serai office, power was restored within a few hours.

In 2023, there are some 700 stall spaces available.

2023032434238925897dca91-d0a1-45c6-a0d2-cabe31878d66_9.jpg?VersionId=M_YE9C0z488T0uoqChIePcTa.14X7WYg&itok=GdX3gdPW
Mr Mohamad Haikel Suhaimi runs Ramly burger stall Original Taste From Malaysia and paid $16,000 to rent one stall. ST PHOTO: JASON QUAH

In a media release last Friday, Wisma Geylang Serai said more than 200,000 people visited the bazaar in its first week of operations.

Wisma Geylang Serai did not address the issues in its reply dated Monday, saying only: “With the rental price ranging from $2,000 to $19,000 as announced earlier by the winning bazaar operator, the bazaar received a healthy response... with the take-up rates now standing at 95 per cent for F&B booths and 80 per cent in retail.

“Traditionally... more stalls will be taken up within the next few weeks into Ramadan. Also, several vendors would open their stalls only (in the) later part of the fasting month due to the relevancy of their products.” 

The 2023 bazaar – the longest-running, at 36 days – began on March 17 to coincide with the Hari Raya light-up in Geylang Serai, and will continue until April 21. Hari Raya Puasa, which marks the end of the fasting month, falls on April 22.

Other stallholders said they have had to face high rents and had received promises from the organisers to be the exclusive sellers of a certain food type in a tent.

Wisma Geylang Serai had earlier said that the maximum charge for food and beverage stalls would be $19,000. However, on Wednesday, a spokesman from the consortium said that “selling booth rates for ‘Food & Beverage’ are priced from $15,000 to $25,000”. And while “base rentals” for booths were priced from $2,000 to $19,000, this did not include “exclusivity on ‘Kebab’ and ‘Burger’ food sellers”.

There are about 20 exclusive F&B booths out of a total of 150 F&B booths.

Pasha Turkish Kebab owner Amr Elgoharoi said he was promised exclusivity to run a stall in the tent next to Onan Road if he paid $24,000.

20230324981132408d7b050a-68e4-4005-8a92-c970e01d9cf0_9.jpg?VersionId=35h2TX2vYlQzNuVLDFkUM9Kjon7ld4zg&itok=0cdTD9LL
This year’s bazaar began on March 17 to coincide with the Hari Raya light-up in Geylang Serai, and will run until April 21. ST PHOTO: JASON QUAH

He added that it was the only reason he was willing to pay a premium. However, another kebab shop has popped up less than 50m from his stall. Prices for kebabs at both stalls start from $5.

“They (organisers) told me I would be the only kebab vendor here but... another operator has shown up,” said Mr Amr, who has had a stall at the bazaar for the last 10 years.

“I’m worried that I can’t make back (the money I put in now), I regret it.”

The other kebab seller in the tent, The Botak BBQ & Grill, was also quoted a rental of $24,000 and told verbally that there would be no other competitor there.

Stall owner Mahmoud Wagih, 45, who has been running a kebab stall at the bazaar since 2007, said: “This bazaar is for all Singaporeans to do business, not to kill each other (with competition)... pray for us.”

Other stallholders are concerned that they will not be able to recoup their investment. Besides rental, they also have to pay for power points, sinks, lights and tables from the organisers.

“With the manpower and additional costs for electrical points and lights rental, this year I’m spending around $100,000 altogether,” said Nenda’s Fritters operations manager Muhd Ridzuan Senin.

20230324306104805eefc1ce-c053-4b0d-8066-9f4130335cdc_9.jpg?VersionId=TZV1k.ijPw0UITRZAFG3HgLSa4Muf0Fb&itok=jWH3lWmK
The Botak BBQ & Grill at the Geylang Serai Ramadan Bazaar on March 24, 2023. ST PHOTO: JASON QUAH

The vendor, who mainly sells Ramly burgers, has been part of the bazaar for the past 15 years. His Ramly burgers cost around $5.

He added that business in 2023 has been mixed so far. “Usually the queues for Ramly burger and kebabs are so long but this year is quite quiet... maybe because a lot of people are breaking fast at home,” he said.

“Hopefully the crowd will pick up.”

Others like Satay Ummi owner Lydia Izzati, 31, said she is not too worried about recouping her investment of $15,000. Her satay goreng ranges in price from $10 to $13 a box, depending on the type of meat.

This is her first time renting the space for a whole month. In previous years, she ran a stall for seven to 10 days.

“Many stallholders are worried about whether we can break even, but as long as the brand is good, the product is good, people will definitely come... There is spending power in the community, people are willing to pay,” said Ms Lydia.

202303247041996367e2365f-7705-476c-8e01-b8253d5da58f_9.jpg?VersionId=jPyMJv1Pn8Qv855x4c0YbSG.FVgLgBHs&itok=6RoN5phe
This is Ms Lydia Izzati’s first time renting the space for a whole month. ST PHOTO: JASON QUAH

Home-based businesses have also been brought in this time via a flea market concept behind Tanjong Katong Complex, offering vendors far more affordable rental of $2,000 for 36 days, or $55 a day.

Consumers ST spoke to said they are feeling the pinch of higher prices at the 2023 bazaar.

“So far, the increase has been around $2 or $3... I used to pay $3.50 or $4 for a Ramly burger,” said Ms Nurul Asyiqin, 24, who is pregnant.

“But I still wanted to come out because I had a craving for vadai and satay... I’m going into labour soon,” added Ms Nurul, who was with her 15-month-old child and husband at the stalls near Engku Aman Road.

Mr Sufiyan Samsul, 34, a freelance outdoor instructor, also noted that prices have gone up by $2 to $3. “Prices of the food have been increasing over the years but I just wanted to come... and soak in the atmosphere with my family,” said Mr Sufiyan, who was with his wife and four children picking up takoyaki and otak otak to take home to feast on.

• Like 1