Elephant Renovation & HomeFix Talk/Questions.

The_King

1 minute ago, stemcell said:

that cb stove cost 5-6k already LOL...... but nice if u like 

edging also easy to chip off if hit by hard stuff , but water no scare....

Lol no need stove. These days i use infrared and induction cooker only.

But yeah regarding chipping off, you are right. Im pretty careless person.

Just now, Camper said:

so far none of my client complain about the chip off.

so still okie...

btw all the above are not my photos....LOLLLL 

• Full Of Win 1

5cd45a378a8a1220018668.gif.a7d40ddd7abc5cac1a3a3d1a1a3af1f9.gif

9 minutes ago, stemcell said:

but did u try it in singapore outlet ? 

bed also important to try, but most expensive is most good 

they are cunning. when i ask for the beautyrest black sonya they already know i get my info from usa sites and told me usa person body is different from SG body

i think to myself  they got hand and leg, i also got hand and leg, bah bah bah, so i ask them for this feature,  advanced pocketed coil (only very high end got this feature) and the official  Simmons shop told me point me to the mattress and the label say queen size is $12000

Yes i  try the bed , it like those 4 or 5 star hotel bed, so comfortable

Edited by The_King

4 minutes ago, The_King said:

they are cunning. when i ask for the beautyrest black sonya they already know i get my info from usa sites and told me usa person body is different from SG body

i think to myself  they got hand and leg, i also got hand and leg, bah bah bah, so i ask them for this feature,  advanced pocketed coil (only very high end got this feature) and the official  Simmons shop told me point me to the mattress and the label say queen size is $12000

Yes i  try the bed , it like those 4 or 5 star hotel bed, so comfortable

how come they know who r u leh,

if same product, dont care body ma...unless u tell me USA bed is bigger. But i dont think possible..

next time i also go test test..

15 minutes ago, Camper said:

induction cooker?

if only you read my post earlier

was looking at induction stove vs gas stove about it life span and how much saving induction is and found this.

induction-stove-safety1.jpg

Buying a kitchen stove is a rare purchase most people make only a few times in a lifetime. Currently, the trend toward replacing electric cooktops with an induction stove is quite popular. Is this a wise purchase? Let’s take a look …

In our home, we purchased a glass top stove in 1997 when we completely remodeled the (very old) kitchen. At that time, the range we selected boasted the latest and greatest technology which included a glass top cooking surface. We were upgrading from a tiny 1950’s stove (see picture below) that while it seemed to fit very well with the orange, 1970’s style wallpaper and canary yellow cabinets (no kidding), it was not something we regretted replacing!

While this new range was awesome (so nice not to have to clean up messes under coil burners anymore!) and has served us well for many years, it recently came time to replace it when problems developed.

Since we had upgraded to the best technology many years earlier with good results, we thought we should probably do so again. This involved purchase of an induction stove with all the bells and whistles. The upgrade hopefully would make my many hours spent in the kitchen even more efficient.

old-stove-before-remodel1.jpg

our old stove circa 1997

Since gas is not an option for our neighborhood, electric is our only choice. We made the rounds to Best Buy, Home Depot and online to see what was available.

We eventually settled on a stainless steel induction stove. It offered nearly all the latest technology of the (amazing but ridiculously expensive) Viking stoves that celebrity chefs use but with a much more reasonable pricetag.

This is the induction stove we originally picked (I was not given permission to use the actual photo). I particularly liked the extra large knobs, and oversized glasstop that prevented spills from trickling down the crack between the stove and the countertop. It was exactly what I was looking for.

We also decided to get the matching convection oven (that also functions as a toaster) that sits over the top of the induction stove to replace our old microwave oven that I only ever used for storage anyway. This would give me more counter space as I could get rid of the countertop convection/toaster oven we were currently using that was on its last legs too.

Little Known Dangers of an Induction Stove

Really excited about our upcoming purchase, I posted about it on the blog FB page, to see if any readers had any input.

Right away, a couple of comments got my attention.

Jeanette K. said, “My mothers induction stove was measured by professionals on EMF and had extreme readings.”

In addition, Beth H. warned that “The only downfall [with an induction stove] is that you have to use pans that magnets can stick to”.

So glad I asked for input! Neither of these concerns about induction stoves was mentioned by the salespeople I spoke to or the marketing material I had reviewed.

Since I frequently cook with glass, having to only use pans that magnets can stick to would be a serious downside of having an induction stove because it would require me to purchase some new cookware and bakeware which I really didn’t want or need to do.

But, it was Jeanette’s comment about the EMF dangers of an induction stove that really gave me pause. EMF overexposure is a huge concern of mine that I’ve written many articles about. We take great pains in our home to minimize excessive EMF exposure such as turning off wifi at night, using radiation cancelling cases and headsets for our cellphones, and EMF shields for our PCs and notebooks. I also avoid dirty electricity in our home by never using dimmer switches or fluorescent bulbs. We also use battery power for our electronics as much as possible as much higher EMF exposure occurs when you use a laptop while it is plugged in, for example.

So, when I started examining the technology behind an induction stove, I was more than a little shocked and incredibly grateful Jeanette had commented about it to clue me in to do further research. Here’s what I found out:

Induction Stoves Work via Generation of EMF Field

The technology of an induction stove works by alternating magnetic fields which generate heat in a cooking vessel made of ferrous metals. The benefits of induction cooking as opposed to thermal heating with a traditional stovetop include up to 50% faster and more even cooking of the food and slightly reduced energy usage. Parents of young children like it because the coil itself underneath the glass stovetop doesn’t actually get hot. This means the cooking surface stays cool and won’t burn little hands or steam up if you spill liquid on it.

While it is extremely controversial whether this type of radiation source is actually dangerous, the data is sufficient enough for me to avoid it. The latest information I found that should give anyone pause about bringing an induction stove into their home was published by the Journal Bioelectromagnetics in 2012 (1).

The study authors concluded that most induction hobs (rings) exceeded even the high 1998 maximum exposure levels set by the International Commission on Non-Ionizing Radiation Protection (ICNIRP) when a person was standing close to the induction stove.

The worst case scenario was an up to 16-fold increase from these maximum exposure levels!

So how in the world did induction stoves ever pass the safety tests? According to Powerwatch, the safety tests assumed that a person’s body is never closer than 1 foot (30 cm) to the front of the induction stove. Standing that far away would be considered “normal usage”.

I don’t know about you, but I don’t cook standing at least a foot away from my stove! In fact, this would be pretty much impossible if you needed to reach the back burners.

https://www.thehealthyhomeeconomist.com/induction-stove-dangers-what-to-buy-instead/

Edited by The_King

3 minutes ago, The_King said:

induction cooker?

if only you read my post earlier

was looking at induction stove vs gas stove about it life span and how much saving induction is and found this.

induction-stove-safety1.jpg

Buying a kitchen stove is a rare purchase most people make only a few times in a lifetime. Currently, the trend toward replacing electric cooktops with an induction stove is quite popular. Is this a wise purchase? Let’s take a look …

In our home, we purchased a glass top stove in 1997 when we completely remodeled the (very old) kitchen. At that time, the range we selected boasted the latest and greatest technology which included a glass top cooking surface. We were upgrading from a tiny 1950’s stove (see picture below) that while it seemed to fit very well with the orange, 1970’s style wallpaper and canary yellow cabinets (no kidding), it was not something we regretted replacing!

While this new range was awesome (so nice not to have to clean up messes under coil burners anymore!) and has served us well for many years, it recently came time to replace it when problems developed.

Since we had upgraded to the best technology many years earlier with good results, we thought we should probably do so again. This involved purchase of an induction stove with all the bells and whistles. The upgrade hopefully would make my many hours spent in the kitchen even more efficient.

old-stove-before-remodel1.jpg

our old stove circa 1997

Since gas is not an option for our neighborhood, electric is our only choice. We made the rounds to Best Buy, Home Depot and online to see what was available.

We eventually settled on a stainless steel induction stove. It offered nearly all the latest technology of the (amazing but ridiculously expensive) Viking stoves that celebrity chefs use but with a much more reasonable pricetag.

This is the induction stove we originally picked (I was not given permission to use the actual photo). I particularly liked the extra large knobs, and oversized glasstop that prevented spills from trickling down the crack between the stove and the countertop. It was exactly what I was looking for.

We also decided to get the matching convection oven (that also functions as a toaster) that sits over the top of the induction stove to replace our old microwave oven that I only ever used for storage anyway. This would give me more counter space as I could get rid of the countertop convection/toaster oven we were currently using that was on its last legs too.

Little Known Dangers of an Induction Stove

Really excited about our upcoming purchase, I posted about it on the blog FB page, to see if any readers had any input.

Right away, a couple of comments got my attention.

Jeanette K. said, “My mothers induction stove was measured by professionals on EMF and had extreme readings.”

In addition, Beth H. warned that “The only downfall [with an induction stove] is that you have to use pans that magnets can stick to”.

So glad I asked for input! Neither of these concerns about induction stoves was mentioned by the salespeople I spoke to or the marketing material I had reviewed.

Since I frequently cook with glass, having to only use pans that magnets can stick to would be a serious downside of having an induction stove because it would require me to purchase some new cookware and bakeware which I really didn’t want or need to do.

But, it was Jeanette’s comment about the EMF dangers of an induction stove that really gave me pause. EMF overexposure is a huge concern of mine that I’ve written many articles about. We take great pains in our home to minimize excessive EMF exposure such as turning off wifi at night, using radiation cancelling cases and headsets for our cellphones, and EMF shields for our PCs and notebooks. I also avoid dirty electricity in our home by never using dimmer switches or fluorescent bulbs. We also use battery power for our electronics as much as possible as much higher EMF exposure occurs when you use a laptop while it is plugged in, for example.

So, when I started examining the technology behind an induction stove, I was more than a little shocked and incredibly grateful Jeanette had commented about it to clue me in to do further research. Here’s what I found out:

Induction Stoves Work via Generation of EMF Field

The technology of an induction stove works by alternating magnetic fields which generate heat in a cooking vessel made of ferrous metals. The benefits of induction cooking as opposed to thermal heating with a traditional stovetop include up to 50% faster and more even cooking of the food and slightly reduced energy usage. Parents of young children like it because the coil itself underneath the glass stovetop doesn’t actually get hot. This means the cooking surface stays cool and won’t burn little hands or steam up if you spill liquid on it.

While it is extremely controversial whether this type of radiation source is actually dangerous, the data is sufficient enough for me to avoid it. The latest information I found that should give anyone pause about bringing an induction stove into their home was published by the Journal Bioelectromagnetics in 2012 (1).

The study authors concluded that most induction hobs (rings) exceeded even the high 1998 maximum exposure levels set by the International Commission on Non-Ionizing Radiation Protection (ICNIRP) when a person was standing close to the induction stove.

The worst case scenario was an up to 16-fold increase from these maximum exposure levels!

So how in the world did induction stoves ever pass the safety tests? According to Powerwatch, the safety tests assumed that a person’s body is never closer than 1 foot (30 cm) to the front of the induction stove. Standing that far away would be considered “normal usage”.

I don’t know about you, but I don’t cook standing at least a foot away from my stove! In fact, this would be pretty much impossible if you needed to reach the back burners.

https://www.thehealthyhomeeconomist.com/induction-stove-dangers-what-to-buy-instead/

never write what will happen if u expose it too long leh...

however it's not like u stay for very long near the stove?

I think for the sake of convenient outweights the health issue ?  

8 minutes ago, stemcell said:

how come they know who r u leh,

if same product, dont care body ma...unless u tell me USA bed is bigger. But i dont think possible..

next time i also go test test..

they know online is way cheaper and SG Simmons, king coil, sealy  etc..... all is markup a lot. that how they know ppl like us

you compare king coil, sealy or other well known sg hear before brand of similar model and you will know how cheap the mattress really is

Edited by The_King

3 minutes ago, stemcell said:

never write what will happen if u expose it too long leh...

however it's not like u stay for very long near the stove?

I think for the sake of convenient outweights the health issue ?  

it for convenient and most people dont really buidu until siao like me

it not about how long i near the stove, it all add up, if i everyday stand 30min, and 30min times 365 days= how many hrs or days in front already

mine will be this. cheap and good, spoil also very cheap to replace

327008_00.jpg&key=fdfa8b31715f796ecf0e85

Hi everybody,

I see a lot of interests generated from this topic.

I can go in depth a bit more if you guys have anything to ask.

I do accept question like costing, material and tools so u can DIY.

For technical questions like architectural and stuff, I might not be qualified to answer. But I can enquire from my colleagues for you. 

1 minute ago, The_King said:

it for convenient and most people dont really buidu until siao like me

it not about how long i near the stove, it all add up, if i everyday stand 30min, and 30min times 365 days= how many hrs or days in front already

mine will be this. cheap and good, spoil also very cheap to replace

327008_00.jpg&key=fdfa8b31715f796ecf0e85

in fact i'm using this, I think i'm changing to induction too.

everytime must change gas and starter..so ma fan 

6 minutes ago, stemcell said:

in fact i'm using this, I think i'm changing to induction too.

everytime must change gas and starter..so ma fan 

it only 20 to $30 for the cooker, spoil just throw and install new one

39 minutes ago, stemcell said:

so far none of my client complain about the chip off.

so still okie...

btw all the above are not my photos....LOLLLL 

So is doing this also quote in per feet like doing kitchen cabinet?

3 minutes ago, stemcell said:

mine 5ft.

what rack arhhh... 

lol.... the ikea metal rack lah.. tat one easy... cos by default the shelving planks can take out mah.... just slot it in nia lor..... 

• Full Of Win 1

I think about you. But I don't say it anymore -Marguerite Duras,