Former child actress Ang Ching Hui, 29, has revealed that she was bullied by actors Glenn Wong, 30, Danial Ashriq, 31, and Hafiz Nasir, 32

The_King

The older actors like Mark Lee and Suhaimi Yusof said they were unaware of what went on back then, and only found out when the cast had a reunion on CNA’s On The Red Dot.

police-and-thief-child-actors-apology

After 12 years, the cast of popular Mediacorp sitcom Police And Thief met up again, thanks to CNA’s On The Red Dot.

The reunion unearthed fond memories of "langgar [loosely translated as 'a wreck'] English (Mark Lee’s words, not ours)”, on-set shenanigans, and for the former child actress who played Xiao Yun in the show, an apology from her fellow child stars.

In the later half of the 22-minute episode, Ang Ching Hui, 29, who now works as a computer graphics artist, revealed that the other child actors were “quite mean” to her.

police-and-thief-child-actors-apology-2.jpeg?itok=60QXeNSe From left to right: Danial, Glenn, Hafiz and Ching Hui

Police And Thief had three child actors who starred alongside Ching Hui — Danial Ashriq, 31, who played Rafi, Hafiz Nasir, 32, who played Rudy, and Glenn Wong, 30, who played Xiao Long.

Danial is a full-time actor, while Hafiz and Glenn work as a process technician and civil servant respectively.

“I always thought that there was something about me that you three [did] not like. That's why, you guys were quite mean lah. There were like instances where they'd lock me in the fitting room,” Ching Hui shared, to the surprise of Mark and Suhaimi Yusof, who played their dads in the show.

Suhaimi said he didnt know what Ching Hui went through as did Mark.

“Nobody knows, but I remember it lah. And there was a scene where they were in our house, and we were throwing stuff 'cos we were supposed to be quite chaotic. And then at the end of the take, right, they didn’t stop throwing [things] at me,” she continued.

Ching Hui went on to share that there was an occasion where filming had to be stopped, as she “was very upset”.

At that point, Hafiz chimed in.

“I remember that we kept disturbing her to the point where her real mum did step in and did talk to me,” he said, adding that he didn’t know why they acted that way towards Ching Hui.

According to Ching Hui, Hafiz came up to her after that, and promised to stop behaving that way.

“I remember that very, very distinctly 'cos I was so moved,” she said.

The child actors were aged between 11 to 14 when Police And Thief first aired. The sitcom ran for six years, from 2004 to 2010.

police-and-thief-child-actors.jpeg?itok=jQP4KPOP From left to right: Glenn, Hafiz, and Danial during the reunion.

Following Ching Hui’s revelation, the child actors apologised to her, with Glenn saying: “I personally really appreciate the fact that I've grown up with you on this series, and so, I'm really sorry that I caused you so much hurt during the seasons.”

Danial added: “It didn't mean anything lah. At that point you were the only girl around, so I guess it was only natural to pick on the odd one out. So we would like to apologise.”

Netizens have also left comments giving their two cents on this issue.

police-and-thief-selfie.jpg?itok=DC7w0XSb

Seems like it's all water under the bridge. Ching Hui posted this selfie with the cast on her Instagram post-reunion.

“I would think that given their age at that point of time, they didn't know how to really communicate with a girl. Plus, being the only girl (child actor) at the set, it is "easier" to gang up against her. Just hope in the future such thing won't happen again..” one wrote.

Another netizen added: “So sad to hear that "Xiao Yun" was bullied for so many seasons & Danial's apology doesn’t sound sincere”.

• Like 1