AIA Singapore apologises over balloon given by staff then taken away from toddler

The_King

AIA and penguin balloon. (PHOTOS: AIA website and Lazada Singapore)
AIA and penguin balloon. (PHOTOS: AIA website and Lazada Singapore)

SINGAPORE — AIA Singapore on Wednesday (15 June) apologised over an incident in which a staff member of the insurer had offered a balloon to a woman's two-year-old daughter and then took it away from her.

In response to queries from Yahoo News Singapore about the incident, AIA Singapore said, “We are sorry for the unpleasant experience. We have counselled the representatives involved in this incident.”

In a post on Monday (13 June), Facebook user Nazreen Ogisi said she was with her daughter around Century Square when she was approached by a woman who offered the toddler a penguin balloon. The woman then posed a few questions to Nazreen, who said the woman was from AIA as she had walked towards her from a booth belonging to the insurer.

“While standing she asked me a few questions and I apparently do not fit the profile for a potential customer so she said sorry I need to take back the balloon and she took it from my daughter's hand. Imagine my horror??!!” Nazreen wrote.

Nazreen said a colleague of the woman approached her and her daughter without knowing about the earlier incident. She asked Nazreen’s daughter if she wanted an elephant balloon.

Nazreen told the second woman not to “tempt” her daughter with the balloon. After consulting a manager, the woman said that she was unable to give the balloon to Nazreen’s daughter.

Calling the incident “absolutely disgusting”, Nazreen said, “Firstly, I can afford to get balloons for my child. Second, it is such a low and cheap move to entice children and lure their parents in for a marketing gimmick only to take back the balloons if the parents don't fit your dumb profile.

“If your customer service is so poor especially with regards to my child, do you think I will trust you to take care of my money to insure my life or family?”

AIA Singapore said its team has contacted the individuals involved to address their concerns.

“We have reiterated our roadshow guidelines to all our representatives and are working closely with them to ensure they adhere to the highest standards of professionalism.”

• Like 1