What’s In Your Instant 3-In-1 Coffee?

The_King

5 hours ago, Londonchocolateroll said:

Based on my knowledge, there is no sure win beans from any country as there are too many factors. The best beans in the wrong roasters hands is also futile. And taste is also very individual. Arabica is definitely a better grade than robusta but personally I lean more to Robusta because I like bitter compared to Arabica which is more sour due to the higher acidity. Best is to try each type of beans to find your preference.

I have only  have limited 3in1 copi experience. Even on this, i only get discounted 3in1, ie 3-4 brands niah .

My last experiment was buying coffee powder and using french press.  Was disappointed, as it didnt save much cost and the copi taste is quite diluted. :(

Any place can do coffee sampling the various beans?  

2 hours ago, Bigbird said:

I have only  have limited 3in1 copi experience. Even on this, i only get discounted 3in1, ie 3-4 brands niah .

My last experiment was buying coffee powder and using french press.  Was disappointed, as it didnt save much cost and the copi taste is quite diluted. :(

Any place can do coffee sampling the various beans?  

I used to sample and buy from this place https://www.yahava.sg/

https://www.almamicroroastery.com/ is a good source for beans and products

You can add more powder to make French Press coffee stronger or let it sit longer like 6 - 8 mins before plunging. Also pour in the hot water slowly.  If its still diluted for you, the way to go is too switch to Espresso

Edited by Londonchocolateroll
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Londonchocolateroll said:

I used to sample and buy from this place https://www.yahava.sg/

https://www.almamicroroastery.com/ is a good source for beans and products

You can add more powder to make French Press coffee stronger or let it sit longer like 6 - 8 mins before plunging. Also pour in the hot water slowly.  If its still diluted for you, the way to go is too switch to Espresso

I dont have a elitist palate for coffee. 

I am trying to find a balance on getting best value for my money coffee beans! 

For my french press experiment, i bought indo coffee powder (Kopi Bubuk) and use 2 table spoon of powder for 1 cup.  At the end of 370g of coffee powder, i realised i didnt enjoy any cost saving and yet the taste is not like kopi tiam!   More spending (evaporate milk (store for 3-5 days only) + Coffee powder + filter and cleaning up.  

So i gave up french press!

I am tempted to try moka pot but i am afraid its another "novelty trip"!

So getting the right coffee bean is key!

QUESTION:

Those coffee bean roastery shops, what is the minimum quantity of powder do they sell? 

How do 1 order,

1) Can mix beans eg Arabica & Robusta?

2) do people mix eg Colombian arabica + Indo arabica?  

8 hours ago, Bigbird said:

I dont have a elitist palate for coffee. 

I am trying to find a balance on getting best value for my money coffee beans! 

For my french press experiment, i bought indo coffee powder (Kopi Bubuk) and use 2 table spoon of powder for 1 cup.  At the end of 370g of coffee powder, i realised i didnt enjoy any cost saving and yet the taste is not like kopi tiam!   More spending (evaporate milk (store for 3-5 days only) + Coffee powder + filter and cleaning up.  

So i gave up french press!

I am tempted to try moka pot but i am afraid its another "novelty trip"!

So getting the right coffee bean is key!

QUESTION:

Those coffee bean roastery shops, what is the minimum quantity of powder do they sell? 

How do 1 order,

1) Can mix beans eg Arabica & Robusta?

2) do people mix eg Colombian arabica + Indo arabica?  

I usually buy 200g but I believe they do sell 100g. You can check and ask for recommendations from the roaster/barista whether and what to mix.

This place at Plaza Sing https://www.101caffe.sg/2020/our-new-shop-in-plaza-singapura-is-open/ specializes in Italian Coffee and they have Arabica/Robusta mix for those who like strong coffee

• Like 1

On 1/31/2022 at 5:41 PM, Bigbird said:

So can i say get Arabica bean from S America is a sure win liao????

:hmm:

arabica beans from columbia and peru r premium price while brazilian arabica r at a lower price point due to taste.

asian origin robusta beans r stronger and more hard-hitting in taste.

thats why asian origin robusta r usually at discount and only cater to asian destination ex-japan as for some reasons, most sea and tiongland like the hard-hitting taste of robusta after roasting with corn and butter.

• Like 1

On 2/2/2022 at 7:34 AM, Londonchocolateroll said:

I usually buy 200g but I believe they do sell 100g. You can check and ask for recommendations from the roaster/barista whether and what to mix.

This place at Plaza Sing https://www.101caffe.sg/2020/our-new-shop-in-plaza-singapura-is-open/ specializes in Italian Coffee and they have Arabica/Robusta mix for those who like strong coffee

Most of these retailers wont entertain noobs! Some are too busy to respond to questions.  Thaats what i am afraid! 

But thanks for all these tips! :good:

I will check out those u have recommended. 

Most of my kakis are either too lazy and but their kopi or just do nespresso or starbucks!

12 hours ago, socrates469bc said:

arabica beans from columbia and peru r premium price while brazilian arabica r at a lower price point due to taste.

asian origin robusta beans r stronger and more hard-hitting in taste.

thats why asian origin robusta r usually at discount and only cater to asian destination ex-japan as for some reasons, most sea and tiongland like the hard-hitting taste of robusta after roasting with corn and butter.

Are local beans sold here mostly roasted with additives/fillers and those from S America beans are roasted without additives? 

When u say "hard-hitting taste" do u mean like our kopi tiam type?

Do u know any cafe where they have these S Amercian beans where i can buy a cup to taste?

On 2/3/2022 at 10:41 PM, Bigbird said:

Are local beans sold here mostly roasted with additives/fillers and those from S America beans are roasted without additives? 

When u say "hard-hitting taste" do u mean like our kopi tiam type?

Do u know any cafe where they have these S Amercian beans where i can buy a cup to taste?

only those ya kun types r still roasted with additives and they use cheap viet/indo/bolehsia robusta beans.

thats why u find them to be hard-hitting.

quite a few kopi specialty cafes such as craftsmen/dutch colony etc.

• Like 1