Dalai Lama says China can learn a lot from Taiwan

Yamato

https://asia.nikkei.com/Politics/International-relations/Dalai-Lama-says-China-can-learn-a-lot-from-Taiwan?utm_campaign=GL_asia_daily&utm_medium=email&utm_source=NA_newsletter&utm_content=article_link&del_type=1&pub_date=20211110190000&seq_num=14&si=44594

Dalai Lama says China can learn a lot from Taiwan
Relations between Beijing and Taipei 'delicate,' spiritual leader says

img%5D

Tibetan spiritual leader Dalai Lama speaks from his home in India during an online press conference on Wednesday. (Screenshot from FCCJ Youtube)
ANDREW SHARP, Nikkei Asia deputy politics and economics editorNovember 10, 2021 16:50 JST

TOKYO -- The Dalai Lama said that China can learn a lot from Taiwan and described relations between Beijing and Taipei as "delicate."

Speaking in a sometimes rambling online press conference to the Foreign Correspondents' Club of Japan, the Buddhist monk mostly discussed spiritual matters but was steered by questions into political affairs.

When asked if Taiwan could become the next Tibet -- a Chinese territory since 1951 -- the 86-year-old said that the democratic island has a lot that China can learn from.

"I really find that the true Chinese heritage and traditions are in Taiwan. Taiwan has kept a 1,000-year-old Chinese tradition and culture," he said from his home in Dharamsala, India. "Economically, Taiwan gets a lot of help from Mainland China. But Chinese culture, including Buddhism, many Chinese brothers and sisters can learn a lot from Taiwanese brothers and sisters."

"I really pray that Taiwan and mainland China are unified peacefully," he said, without clarifying whether that should be under the government in Beijing or Taipei.

Tensions across the Taiwan Strait have grown increasingly fraught since President Tsai Ing-wen came to power in 2016. Beijing frequently flies warplanes near the island, and Taiwan's defense minister recently warned that China already has the ability to invade and will be capable of mounting a "full scale" invasion by 2025.

The Dalai Lama said he had no plans to visit Taiwan.

"The relations between Taiwan and China are quite delicate. I don't want to cause local political difficulties," he said. "I can communicate with people in Taiwan like I am talking to you now [online]."

The Dalai Lama has lived in exile in northern India since he fled his Chinese-ruled homeland in 1959. China considers him a separatist even though he long ago abandoned the goal of Tibetan independence in favor of it gaining greater autonomy.

At least 130,000 Tibetans live in exile, including 85,000 in India. But most of the world's 6 million Tibetans live in the autonomous Tibetan region of western China and regard the Dalai Lama as their spiritual leader.

Asked if he wanted to return to Tibet one day, the Dalai Lama said he is happy to remain in exile in India.

"I'm very happy in India. We see snow mountains, lakes, forests. I love this place," he said. "India has complete freedom and religious harmony... The followers of all religious traditions exist in India. It has very good harmony."

His word could be interpreted that the Dalai Lama wants Indian government of the Hindu nationalist Bharatiya Janata Party to continue supporting Tibetan refugees. New Delhi has been offering citizenship to Tibetans in India instead of abandoning refugee status. In 2017, at the behest of the Indian government, the Tibetan government-in-exile changed the English name for its political leader from "prime minister" to "president."

The Dalai Lama said he was willing to travel to Beijing to meet with Chinese leaders including President Xi Jinping.

"China itself is changing," he said. "[Chinese leaders] are sometimes too extreme. They try to control [people]."

On spiritual matters, the Dalai Lama said "religion is too politicized, that's a problem."

"Your enemy is your best teacher. With an enemy, you can practice patience. That is one of the important factors for peace of mind," he said. "Tibetans generally have a peaceful mind. Inside Tibet also, you can see they are very faithful and often have a smiling face."

• Like 2