Updates - Efficacy and Safety of COVID-19 Vaccines

Bigbird

Efficacy and Safety of COVID-19 Vaccines A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis of Randomized Clinical Trials

Vaccines (Basel). 2021 May; 9(5): 467.
Published online 2021 May 6. doi: 10.3390/vaccines9050467

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8148145/#__ffn_sectitle

Please sign in or sign up for an account to view this content.

credit- @testerjp

• Geek 3

the dataset used r up to mid mar 2021, so is not updated and must be examined in context.

what is of note is that inactivated virus and adenovirus have a very wide range of efficacy of between 56 to 94 at 95% ci, too wide to really gauge the efficacy.

but the advantage of inactivated virus and adenovirus r that the side effect r very limited as show in the ci and which was predicted in medical theories.

however, becos of the short duration of the trials and significant events such as partial lockdowns, the true efficacy of the vaccines will be significantly affected while the long term effectiveness of the vaccines r still unknown.

the first question that comes to my mind is that if the average clinical efficacy is as high as 93 at 95%ci, the surges after may shld theoretically be better controlled but it seems not to.

the best sample to examine is israel where vaccination rate for adults r as high as 80% but cases r at the same or higher level from the same period last yr.

a recent cdc report of serious concern is that efficacy in front line medical workers actually decreased from 91 to 66 within a period of 6mths.

so is the vaccines' initial high efficacy seriously overestimated, effectiveness of vaccines dramatically waned, virus mutation or other problem?????

these statistical points need to be addressed in order for better policy making to be done.

Edited by socrates469bc
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Bigbird said:

Efficacy and Safety of COVID-19 Vaccines A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis of Randomized Clinical Trials

Vaccines (Basel). 2021 May; 9(5): 467.
Published online 2021 May 6. doi: 10.3390/vaccines9050467

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8148145/#__ffn_sectitle

Please sign in or sign up for an account to view this content.

credit- @testerjp

i like red, so little

• Like 1

6 hours ago, socrates469bc said:

the dataset used r up to mid mar 2021, so is not updated and must be examined in context.

what is of note is that inactivated virus and adenovirus have a very wide range of efficacy of between 56 to 94 at 95% ci, too wide to really gauge the efficacy.

but the advantage of inactivated virus and adenovirus r that the side effect r very limited as show in the ci and which was predicted in medical theories.

however, becos of the short duration of the trials and significant events such as partial lockdowns, the true efficacy of the vaccines will be significantly affected while the long term effectiveness of the vaccines r still unknown.

the first question that comes to my mind is that if the average clinical efficacy is as high as 93 at 95%ci, the surges after may shld theoretically be better controlled but it seems not to.

the best sample to examine is israel where vaccination rate for adults r as high as 80% but cases r at the same or higher level from the same period last yr.

a recent cdc report of serious concern is that efficacy in front line medical workers actually decreased from 91 to 66 within a period of 6mths.

so is the vaccines' initial high efficacy seriously overestimated, effectiveness of vaccines dramatically waned, virus mutation or other problem?????

these statistical points need to be addressed in order for better policy making to be done.

As of now, I believe those that are in the market are those vaccine that are developed based on the viral set "frozen" jul/AIG 2020.  Taking for eg, flu  vaccine for Northern & southern viral set are "frozen" by CDC 6mths before release for the seasonal release.  eg trivalent or quad viral strains. So in this case  benchmarking the vaccine for the viral initial "specs" is correct and expected! (for those who are in consulting will know this "setting definable objects")

2. on mrna designed vax, it try to be a "smart vax" by designing the vaccine to go into the RNA level (eg source code in IT terms). 

whereas, the inactivated & adenovirus approach is by (analogy) "input of the virus into the system & let the system antivirus do its job".  (I feel in this way, it doesn't corrupt the system program) 

This is what I think "sandboxing" is about.  So the risk is much more manageable. 

Think about this so many FWs & overseas visitors & locals are asymptomatic c19 infected but most just do QO or SHO. Those in ICU are mostly like miw says have existing conditions.. 

So I will base my decision on risk + knowledge based management approach & not because its free for vaccine. :wink:

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Bigbird said:

As of now, I believe those that are in the market are those vaccine that are developed based on the viral set "frozen" jul/AIG 2020.  Taking for eg, flu  vaccine for Northern & southern viral set are "frozen" by CDC 6mths before release for the seasonal release.  eg trivalent or quad viral strains. So in this case  benchmarking the vaccine for the viral initial "specs" is correct and expected! (for those who are in consulting will know this "setting definable objects")

2. on mrna designed vax, it try to be a "smart vax" by designing the vaccine to go into the RNA level (eg source code in IT terms). 

whereas, the inactivated & adenovirus approach is by (analogy) "input of the virus into the system & let the system antivirus do its job".  (I feel in this way, it doesn't corrupt the system program) 

This is what I think "sandboxing" is about.  So the risk is much more manageable. 

Think about this so many FWs & overseas visitors & locals are asymptomatic c19 infected but most just do QO or SHO. Those in ICU are mostly like miw says have existing conditions.. 

So I will base my decision on risk + knowledge based management approach & not because its free for vaccine. :wink:

in short

67014ea72ade3d4759456e3234de111f.gif

• Wahaha 2

35 minutes ago, Bigbird said:

exactly and thats why when u do a rushed job like this vaccine, a lot of underlying chinks will only surface after 6mths or so.

i alrdy warn on the unbelievably high efficacy of pfizer wuhan vaccine when it first come out and how effective it will be irl.

most likely some form of lockdown with some sakti name will be implemented next mth.

pls notice me, CNA.

wahahahahahaha

Pin by Elizabeth Kibler on Funnies | Friday cartoon, Funny cartoon, Watch  the world burn

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, socrates469bc said:

exactly and thats why when u do a rushed job like this vaccine, a lot of underlying chinks will only surface after 6mths or so.

i alrdy warn on the unbelievably high efficacy of pfizer wuhan vaccine when it first come out and how effective it will be irl.

most likely some form of lockdown with some sakti name will be implemented next mth.

pls notice me, CNA.

wahahahahahaha

Pin by Elizabeth Kibler on Funnies | Friday cartoon, Funny cartoon, Watch  the world burn

Sinophram for the win

• Like 1

Just now, Bigbird said:

Another candidate is novavax which moh has preordered liao!

those that take mRNA. muahahahahhahahahahhahhahahahhahahahahahah

crowd-laughing.gif

there a saying:

mRNA: early bird get the worm

inactivated virus: early worm get eaten by the bird

novavax is my choice but due to the deadline, i mange to book sinophram

• Like 2
  • Wahaha 1

7 minutes ago, The_King said:

Sinophram for the win

2 minutes ago, Bigbird said:

Another candidate is novavax which moh has preordered liao!

vax lai vax qu every 6mths for now but this is not medium term solution until a more effective vaccine is produced.

zheng hu shld stick to strict social distancing, better indoor air regulations, discourage mass gatherings and really scale down opening door policy.

at least get the infection down to mid double digits for 2mths first b4 loosening social gathering.

then wait at least 1 yr for limited control opening door.

or else will be pai vax, open door then 'cb' cycle every 6mths until 2024.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, socrates469bc said:

vax lai vax qu every 6mths for now but this is not medium term solution until a more effective vaccine is produced.

zheng hu shld stick to strict social distancing, better indoor air regulations, discourage mass gatherings and really scale down opening door policy.

at least get the infection down to mid double digits for 2mths first b4 loosening social gathering.

then wait at least 1 yr for limited control opening door.

or else will be pai vax, open door then 'cb' cycle every 6mths until 2024.

MIW no time & no budget liao! 

Now is endemic living

See my deduction in there. 

• Wahaha 3

1 hour ago, Bigbird said:

The purpose of this thread is to provide u info on making your choice of vaccine WISELY!!!!! :)

thats why i do my own research and read bmj b4 choosing a vaccine and i m glad i did becos i have inherent skin allergy to certain shellfish and high blood pressure.

luckily i did pure bio and stats b4, so i know what to look out for.

bio 101 logic alrdy say experimental vaccine need at least 5yrs of safety data record b4 approval to iron out all chinks, so u say how accurate the data is if it is a 1yr rush job?????

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/vaccines/timeline

at first, i dont mind pfizer or moderna becos of their claimed high efficacy rate but when i saw how their trials r conducted, i wait and see.

then got allergic reaction which was traced to shellfish lipid, autoimmune over-reaction which was traced to mrna technology in pfizer and high incidence of cardiac arrest due to unknown reasons in moderna over the next couple of months until common occurrences liao.

want to take az but also got problem with blood thickening and vein blockage.

then tiong vaccines shld be safe????? got issues with the efficacy.

so better play safe and wait for a more suitable vaccine.

then the biggest joke in pharma history occurred, all the vaccines suffer from decreasing efficacy within 6mth period and now 50/50 chance will be needing yrly 3 jabs liao.

so best policy is to stay safe with social distancing indoor and go to places with very few ppl for now.

nb, smlj vaccination also cannot give me 80% protection for 1 yr.

Edited by socrates469bc
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, socrates469bc said:

thats why i do my own research and read bmj b4 choosing a vaccine and i m glad i did becos i have inherent skin allergy to certain shellfish and high blood pressure.

luckily i did pure bio and stats b4, so i know what to look out for.

bio 101 logic alrdy say experimental vaccine need at least 5yrs of safety data record b4 approval to iron out all chinks, so u say how accurate the data is if it is a 1yr rush job?????

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/vaccines/timeline

at first, i dont mind pfizer or moderna becos of their claimed high efficacy rate but when i saw how their trials r conducted, i wait and see.

then got allergic reaction which was traced to shellfish lipid, autoimmune over-reaction which was traced to mrna technology in pfizer and high incidence of cardiac arrest due to unknown reasons in moderna over the next couple of months until common occurrences liao.

want to take az but also got problem with blood thickening and vein blockage.

then tiong vaccines shld be safe????? got issues with the efficacy.

so better play safe and wait for a more suitable vaccine.

then the biggest joke in pharma history occurred, all the vaccines suffer from decreasing efficacy within 6mth period and now 50/50 chance will be needing yrly 3 jabs liao.

so best policy is to stay safe with social distancing indoor and go to places with very few ppl for now.

nb, smlj vaccination also cannot give me 80% protection for 1 yr.

keyword: go to places with very few ppl for now.

answer:

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, The_King said:

like injecting poison, fight poison with poison

if one die due to your own fault then u have no one to blame. This is not the case of those I heard who took xxxxxx and then have more medical problems or accelerated death!

Besides a Quick death is 1 thing!

But slow suffering + continuous medical costs that not only affect u but also your family is 🏆.

Ask the boy who got compensation, the rest of his life he will need to worry when his heart will ....... 

Edited by Bigbird
  • angry 2

1 minute ago, Bigbird said:

Quick death is 1 thing!

But slow suffering + continuous medical costs that not only affect u but also your family is 🏆.

Ask the boy who got compensation, the rest of his life he will need to worry when his heart will ....... 

heart same with kidney, once damage it damage. the body cant regen

• Like 2