Veloren (pre-alpha)

Huat Zai

Veloren is a multiplayer voxel RPG written in Rust. It is inspired by games such as Cube World, Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Dwarf Fortress and Minecraft.

Veloren is fully open-source, licensed under GPL 3. It uses original graphics, musics and other assets created by its community. Being contributor-driven, its development community and user community is one and the same: developers, players, artists and musicians come together to develop the game.

a24bbea5be865c8f00.png 2c7788927c3c17dd00.png

ba426970352aa0ed00.png 0d13b824155b7df700.png

https://veloren.net/

• Like 1

Official Mugentech Minecraft server: Please see thread in Gamers

FAQ

Q: Why can't I find much info on this game?

A: The game is in pre-alpha and the devs are still making changes everyday

Q: Are you playing this game Huat Zai?

A: Yes I am, my main character inside is Nyx

Q: How do I start playing?

A: Go to https://veloren.net/  and download the game, then go to https://veloren.net/account/  and create an account to login and play

Q: What do I do when I start?

A: This is an open world without quests (yet), just run around and kill stuff

Q: Errmmm..

A: Level up, make armor, get weapons

Q: How do I level up?

A: Kill monsters and animals will give you exp. Press "p" to open your skill chart and use your skill points when you get them

Q: How do I craft things?

A: Press "c" to see the crafting table, following the instructions on the item you want

Q: Where do I find better weapons?

A: Raid dungeons

Q: How do I sell things?

A: Look for a NPC merchant in town, stand next to the merchant and press "t". Drag and drop the item on your side of the trading table, then drag and drop the item or cash you want to trade for from the merchant to the merchant side of the table. Ctrl click on an item to auto balance.

Q: Are there online tutorials?

A: Search for the veloren youtube videos by Froggy.

Q: Where do I find gold/silver/diamond ore?

A: At the very end of mining caves (where the Orgies or Trolls are), there are bright yellow blocks on the ground. Mine through them and look for the ores under the yellow blocks.

Q: Where do I find lively vine?

A: Kill deadwood or maneaters. You will find deadwood in forests and maneaters in jungle biomes

Q: Where do I find rugged hide?

A: Kill the huge monsters in desert biomes (can't remember what they are called)

Q: Where do I find phoenix feather?

A: Phoenix fly from dungeon to dungeon, sometimes they get trapped in trees or hills, travel from dungeon to dungeon and kill what you can find.

Q: Where do I find glowing remains?

A: The last boss in T6 dungeons (Mind Flayers) drop them at very low rates.

If you join the game, post a message on this thread and I'll look for you.

I thought pre-alpha usually not release for public testing. Only in-house testers.

I only did open beta testing for 1 or 2 games before. One game i even played from open beta until final product launch and paid for game time too. (Project A3)

29 minutes ago, chamfer said:

I thought pre-alpha usually not release for public testing. Only in-house testers.

I only did open beta testing for 1 or 2 games before. One game i even played from open beta until final product launch and paid for game time too. (Project A3)

They are open source and plans to remain that way, so they don't really care if players see the buggy side (the players don't care either)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, chamfer said:

I kena pk by another player just near town when out exploring after creating new char.

Ya... The player base is a bit asshole, that's why I keep  away from Elden (the town you spawn in) as much as I can. I hear rumors that they will be implementing an option to switch between  PVE/PVP mode

11 minutes ago, Huat Zai said:

Ya... The player base is a bit asshole, that's why I keep  away from Elden (the town you spawn in) as much as I can. I hear rumors that they will be implementing an option to switch between  PVE/PVP mode

That time only 15 players in the server....

I just had not learned the controls yet. 

• Like 1

Tips and Tricks

1. Armor and Weapons is everything

Even with good stats, you'll still suffer without good gear in this game. Your crafting menu is your friend, use it to figure out what armor you need and adventure with that in mind.

2. Top on the chart doesn't mean best in the game

Depending on your play style, highest ranking gear might not be the best in game. Ask other players and experiment a bit to figure out which mix you prefer.

3. Tab to switch weapons

If you play solo, learn to aggro single monsters from a pack and lure it to a safe corner. Tab to switch to melee weapon and finish the job.

4. Hold down left click for continuous attack

That took toooo long for me to figure out...

5. Healing sceptre will safe you a LOT of pots

To use the healing spell on a sceptre, you will need a few combos before you right click, the trick is that it doesn't have to be the same weapon.  What I do is to have a sceptre in my action slot, which I will quickly switch too and right click after a finish killing a monster, IF I've in a safe zone.

6. Side step right and circle your enemy as you melee

This reduces the damage you take from monsters that have slow but heavy attacks

7. Put your pots in the 'Q' slot

Side step right, stop your attacks, hit q to pot. If you're are holding on to your mouse click, your action slot keys won't work.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, chamfer said:

I wonder if the gameworld respawn the crafting materials or mobs like what most mmorpg does?

No play minecraft thus fumbling about the controls (used to WoW controls). 

The respawn works a little like minecraft, when there are no players in a chunk of the map, it is unloaded by the server. The next time a player moves into or login to the chunk, it is regenerated with new resources.

2 minutes ago, Huat Zai said:

The respawn works a little like minecraft, when there are no players in a chunk of the map, it is unloaded by the server. The next time a player moves into or login to the chunk, it is regenerated with new resources.

So i can't do mindless farming unless i log in and out again at town?

No wonder i cannot find red flowers....

Edited by chamfer

8 minutes ago, chamfer said:

So i can't do mindless farming unless i log in and out again at town?

No wonder i cannot find red flowers....

You can set your spawn point by standing next to a campfire. A word of caution, /home sends you back to Elden (noob town) no matter where you are on the map. /kill will respawn you at your spawn point with full HP.

Edited by Huat Zai
  • Like 1

@Huat Zai thanks for the ingame items. Very useful. Did not realised that it's legendary stuff

My char donned the armour in town yesterday afternoon & attract another player that keep wanting to do trade with me(in which i keep rejecting). 

Another player keep spamming trade with me after i farmed and need to sell items to npc. After that he keep dropping glowing remains in front of my char a few times no matter where i went in town. Did not pick those glowing remains.

• Like 1

On 8/28/2021 at 11:38 PM, chamfer said:

Got a collar and use it to tame a tusk ram as pet.

Login twice and cannot find any trader npc in town to sell off my junk. Maybe a bug.

Don't bother to trade in Elden, the merchants are either killed by players or bugged, go to another town. I prefer to trade in Showyist causes the pots are cheaper

• Like 1

Item drops from the dungeon bosses were update in the earlier patch. I took a look at the source code, the new drops and rates are as follows:

Boss drop rates on 02 Sept 2021

T1 Dungeon - Harvester

• 50% stone sword, stone axe, stone hammer, wood bow, wood staff
  • 50% linen, rawhide, bronze armors

T2 Dungeon - Yeti

• 50% bronze sword, bronze axe, bronze hammer, bone bow, bamboo staff, bamboo sceptre
  • 50% wool, leather, iron  armors

T3 Dungeon - Tidal Warrior

• 45.45% iron sword, iron axe, iron hammer, hardwood box, hardwood staff, hardwood sceptre
  • 45.45% silk, scale, steel armors
  • Heavy Seabag

T4 Dungeon -  Clay Golem

• 50% steel sword, steel axe, steel hammer, metal bow, ironwood staff, ironwood sceptre
  • 50% lifecloth, carapace, cobalt armors

T5 Dungeon - Minotaur

• 50% cobalt sword, cobalt axe, cobalt hammer, frostwood bow, frostwood staff, frostwood sceptreCommon weapons
  • 50% moonweave, plate, bloodsteel armors

T6 Dungeon - Mindflayer

• 38.46% bloodsteel sword, bloodsteel axe, bloodsteel hammer, eldwood bow, eldwood staff, eldwood sceptre
  • 38.46% sunsilk, dragonscale, orichalcum armors
  • 3.84% cultist sword, cultist hammer, cultist staff
  • 3.84% velorite sceptre, velorite bow, velorite axe
  • 3.84% magic lantern
  • 3.84% skullgrin (glider)
  • 3.84% axe), sagitta (legendary bow), phoenix (legendary staff) laevateinn (legendary staff), root of evil (legendary sceptre), caduceus (legendary sceptre)
  • 3.84% glowing remains
  • Like 1